Author Topic: New member  (Read 1329 times)

Offline turningoakwood

• iron
« on: December 30, 2020, 10:44:16 PM »
I thought I should introduce myself as a new member of this forum.

I live in Suffolk and  have been turning for about 5 years. I currently use a Hegner lathe although retirement beckons in 2021 and I have my eyes on something more powerful - perhaps a Vicmarc or Oneway. I mainly turn bowls from locally sourced wood and use a Logosol kiln dryer/chamber to quick steam dry rough turned bowls. I give away most of what I produce although I have occasionally sold at charity events and auctions.

I look forward to contributing to your forum.

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
Hi there
Welcome to the woody madhouse. I'm based just over the border in Norfick. Perhaps our paths will cross at some point.
All the best and a happy New Ear.
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:25:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  :)

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 12:35:33 PM »
Hello,
I;m on the Norfolk / Suffolk  I also use a Hegner Lathe I Have had it for 16 years.
I am a member of Diss and district Woodturning  club.
John
John English

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 04:11:32 PM »
If you ae any where near Bury St Edmunds, let me have your email address and I will put you on the newsletter list and keep you informed of that wonderful day we reopen!
Or failing that look for clubs near you on the AWGB website
Ron

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 05:53:25 PM »
Hello ( ??????? ) , is your name a secret  :D

Welcome to the forum , Keep posting and please don't turn ( Like the pun ) into a one post wonder and gone  :o

Can you post some photos of your work , We all like photos  ;D

Have fun ??????

Offline turningoakwood

• iron
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »
Apologies for the anonymity, but until I retire (later this year) I will be nameless. No offence meant to anyone. It is simply for personal security.

I tried to post some pictures of my turning, but can’t work out how to get them small enough. However, if you would like to see some, I have an Instagram page “turningoakwood” which I keep up to date.

If anyone can tell me how to reduce the size of photos/videos so as to be compatible with this forum, I will gladly give it another try.

I certainly don’t intend being a one post member and will be starting a post about my Logosol kiln in the near future.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 03:52:36 PM »
You can just use your first name but only if you want to.

As to resizing photos it depends if you are using a Mac or a PC. On a Mac iResize is good. Photoscape works on both Mac and PC and is more of an image editor but does include a resize function. Both are free. Photos in jpg format about 80% compression / quality and 800px to 1000px on the long edge should get you to a suitable size for here. There are other image resize apps these are just a couple I have used.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 04:58:50 PM »
Re photo size I set my camera to 640 x 480 pixels , Ideal size for forum use , Then no need to re size , Hope this helps mystery man  :D

Offline turningoakwood

• iron
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 09:25:57 PM »
Thank you very much for the photo hints. I shall try one of the Apps on my iPad and see how that works.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 09:44:04 PM »
For an iPad you will have to look in the app store for an image resizer.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
For an iPad you will have to look in the app store for an image resizer.

I’ve found it quite rare to need an image resizer on an iPad. When you upload pictures you are given four options: Actual size, Large, Medium and Small. These built in options are all you need most of the time. On the rare cases I have needed anything else I’ve used an online resizer such as:

https://resizeimage.net/