Author Topic: Wax Sealing bowls rough turned  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Turnbull

• iron
Wax Sealing bowls rough turned
« on: December 23, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
Hi all new to the forum today.
I have been rough turning a number of bowls from some logs given to me ranging from 11inch to 5inches. The wall thickness is approx 1 10th of the diameter and I've brushed on some paraffin wax to seal them inside and out.

I was just wondering what you do and how do you know when they are ready for finish turning.

Many thanks
Dave

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Re: Wax Sealing bowls rough turned
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »
Easiest way is to weigh them on a regular basis (use digital kitchen or postal scales). When they stop losing weight the moisture content is in equilibrium with wherever they are being dried and they can be remounted on the lathe for finishing.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 07:59:53 AM »
Hi Dave
There are almost as many drying methods as there are turners..... Heres mine
Rough turn the green timber as soon after felling as possible
Seal the piece inside a paper bag with a few of its own, by now, semi dry shavings (use a plastic bag, with a handful of grass cuttings, if you want the wood to spalt)
Date the bag before hiding it away somewhere where only spiders frolic
Rediscover it at some undisclosed time in the future
Open up to see what long forgotten gem you have to play with.
Suggestion.... Dont think in single pieces, put several away every winter so a production line is started and the inevitable 10%(ish) failure rate will become nothing more than a slight nuisance.
As with all methods of drying timber mine comes with no guarantee of success, but thats where the fun lies.
Go for it
Brian

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
PS
Not all drying "Failures" need be worthless. Try exploring the use of texturing and/or piercing as camoflage or 2pack filler and arty farty paint finishes before you eventually banish the no-hopers to the firewood pile.
Brian

Offline Turnbull

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 10:31:45 PM »
Hi all and sorry for taking so long responding.
Hope Christmas was as good as could be :)

Thanks for your ideas. The idea of tucking a few pieces away in dark places sounds interesting, might dabble with that one. 
When I get some failures I'll try not to cry to much. Well, all the wood has been free so far so lucky in that respect.
I'll get some scales and start recording their weights and go from there and see how things go.

I've been expanding my drying area in an old 4 x 3 x 7ft tall wooden shed which I've insulated and stacked out with rails.
Thought I'd start with a 100W light bulb to keep the frost and damp at bay.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks again

Dave.