Author Topic: Bench or Legs?  (Read 886 times)

Offline Frankie

• iron
Bench or Legs?
« on: December 20, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »
I'm planning upgrading my lathe and looking for some advice - but it's not another which lathe should I choose as I've already found enough threads on that topic to confuse me!

The models I'm considering are benchtop lathes that have the option of steel legs, so what are the pros and cons of bench mounting vs legs?

My only experience is my current lathe which is on a home made wooden bench which has the advantages of being heavy and therefore totally solid and providing some storage space.

One model I'm considering is the Record Coronet Herald which has the option of filling the legs with sand, does anyone know how much extra weight this adds and if it makes a significant difference?

Thanks
Frankie

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Bench or Legs?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 12:58:02 PM »
In my experiance most stands will require a little work to make them more stable - especially the pressed steel ones. I have a very heavy free standing lathe so do not have the problem, but a collegue had the same dilema as yourself, he made a simple but very robust timer bench, this enabled him to make it a custom height, as large as he wanted and to incorperate storage.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
Advantage of GOOD legs is they are not in your way as bench can be, cast iron is slimmer than equivalent rigidity in timber. It really depends on the lathe you are installing onto it.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
The legs on the Herald look a bit insubstantial compared to the Envoy and Regent but I suppose they’re much cheaper. Adding kiln dried sand may help damp vibrations but you may need further bracing or fixing to the floor to eliminate it. Hard to know for sure though without using one. Have you looked for independent reviews?

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »
I have one on order and I will mount it on the bench I use for my currend lathe. Look at a lathe in a showroom and see if looks secure to you.
There are some on EBay from people who bought the legs and then made a bench/stand.
Ron