Author Topic: Snowman Pepper Grinder  (Read 1150 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Snowman Pepper Grinder
« on: December 09, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
So now for something completely different!

Our club (Tudor Rose) Christmas online competition is for a 'Christmas themed pepper grinder'! 

So here he is - a conventional shaftless 'crushgrind' mechanism I had, with body made from tulipwood (with the hat dyed black) with a padauk nose, a clear acrylic hat brim (also lathe cut) and pyro by my daughter in Leeds (with postal transfer).  The rotating joint is between the bottom two 'balls', one fills under the hat 'lid' and there is no coating - which leaves it looking more like snow but may be a clean problem longer term. The tall hat has a deep 25mm hole in the base which accommodates the battery/switch and excess wiring from a small Xmas light set (actually multicoloured but looks blue here), the wiring being folded carefully so the lights are more or less in line with the interior (25mm) hole in the clear hat brim (see pic). Although not shown in the pic the hat is actually held on by a 25mm projecting clear plastic tube (cut from a medical sample tube on the lathe) fixed into the top of the grinder (still allowing filling), with two slots cut to accommodate the battery box (with the switch showing downwards when the hat is off).  Taking the hat on and off, threading the lights, is mildly fiddly but it does hold the hat/lid on well enough to allow the grinder to be inverted.

The hat picture was taken pre-pyro.

A bit of seasonal fun anyway! Apparently the competition is fierce!

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
Re: Snowman Pepper Grinder
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »
Excellent, good luck with the competition.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:37:17 PM »
I like it.
I like the detail of the LEDs and I do like the pyro work, well done and good luck in the comp.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 01:00:02 AM »
Nice to see something different ,  :)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 10:09:34 PM »
a somewhat superior picture by my daughter

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 01:30:38 PM »
FYI we came a 'very close second' in the competition (to quote the organiser) to a well-done more traditional design of grinder! (online vote by the club membership)