Author Topic: A new lathe  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Oscar98

• iron
A new lathe
« on: November 26, 2020, 04:26:01 PM »
Hi there :)

I am looking to get my first lathe and was thinking to get the Record Power DML305. But I have seen a restored Myford ML8 for sale. Bearings have been changed and repainted so it is basically like new. Comes with a new chuck. What should I get? I am a bit worried by its age though.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:31:54 PM by Oscar98 »

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: A new lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »
My opinion would be avoid the ML8 , When you turn the shaving clog up the machined channel in the single bar and make moving the tool reas and tail stock difficult

The Dml305 is a more modern lathe but does not have vairable speed ( Electronic ) so you need to keep moving the drive belt on the top and bottom pully to adjust the speed

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 06:29:33 PM »

Good lathe for sale on this forum's For Sale page now - but looks like you're perhaps too late for it

Might be a few for sale after Christmas?

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
The DML305 is a very good lathe, especially for the price.

I've had mine for nearly ten years. At that time, it had was MT1 and a 3/4" thread but current ones are MT2 with an M33 thread.

I converted it to variable speed about six years ago and it is a lot better.

Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Gregmcateer

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »
If you're undecided, go to your local group, (I know that's pretty much impossible right now), or failing that, get in touch with them or a local pro/tutor and talk through what you THINK you are going to want to make, (I say THINK, because it WILL change, betcha!)