Author Topic: New bee from Warwickshire UK  (Read 1147 times)

Offline tinyjames

• iron
New bee from Warwickshire UK
« on: November 26, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »
First thank you for adding me to this web site

I'm newish to turning and have my own lathe bought some time ago from Axminister. Yep I bought my lathe 9 years ago and in that time I have only made two pens and just the out side of a bowl.

the pen kits where bought from Axminister and the wood for the bowl was from a turning show. I have most of the chisels I need, I have a 4 jaw chuck and a pen jaws so I can drill out on Lathe,4 point center, Live centers, drill chuck for the tail stock, Beal mop system.

I have a jig sharpening system but I'm saving for a Axminister wet grinder system.

I am hoping to start turning some bowls but I'm looking also for some log's to turn some bowls. I do have some bowl blanks but they are expensive for anything of a good size.

James

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: New bee from Warwickshire UK
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 10:48:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum James.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »
First thank you for adding me to this web site

I'm newish to turning and have my own lathe bought some time ago from Axminister. Yep I bought my lathe 9 years ago and in that time I have only made two pens and just the out side of a bowl.

the pen kits where bought from Axminister and the wood for the bowl was from a turning show. I have most of the chisels I need, I have a 4 jaw chuck and a pen jaws so I can drill out on Lathe,4 point center, Live centers, drill chuck for the tail stock, Beal mop system.

I have a jig sharpening system but I'm saving for a Axminister wet grinder system.

I am hoping to start turning some bowls but I'm looking also for some log's to turn some bowls. I do have some bowl blanks but they are expensive for anything of a good size.

James

Hi James , you need to understand that with wet systems you can't shape your tools , they need to be the correct shape and then you use the wet systen to just re sharpen the edge , Also when shaping please do not get the chisel / gouge HOT ( Turnes blue ) or that will alter the hardness of the edge , Keep dipping the tool in water to keep it cool while shaping
Have fun and welcome

Lets see you pens  ;)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 07:25:28 PM »
Agreed about the wet grinder. They work fine but can be very slow for anything other than touching up an existing edge. Sooner or later you’ll probably want to grind a different profile on a tool and then you’ll need a bench grinder or something like the Pro Edge with a coarse grit belt.

Offline tinyjames

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »
Thank you for the information on the wet stone system.

I do have a question with regards to cooling the chisels I recently watched a you tube video where this American gest/teacher was asked to do a demo at a turning club where he quotes that cooling hot chisels in water creates micro fractures in the chisels because of the complex carbons added to HSS steel.

I will see if I can find the video

James     

Offline tinyjames

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 08:46:38 AM »
Haha I've found the video with regards to cooling chisels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhuGl7n-bNY

he talks about it at around 24 min into the video

James

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »
Ive not seen the video but believe the info mentioned to be correct. You cannot.....in effect... reach a high enough temperature while grinding to harm high speed steel but you can, in theory, create the minute fractures mentioned by quenching it while hot. So NEVER quench HSS tools.
Tools made of high carbon steel, on the other hand, need to be kept cool so regular water dipping is essential.
Brian

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »
You should never hold the chisel on the wheel so lang as to get it too hot light short grinds is all that is needed if just reinstating a sharp edge. Even if reshaping the same applies but

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »
I have used the water cooling method for years and never had a problem
I don't grind until the tool tip is glowing red hot
Grind for a small time and cool and repeat

I also don't own a microscope to see micro cracks

As said it works for me if you are cautious and don't over heat the tip

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »
Yes agreed, water cooling between visits to the wheel is fine provided you don’t get the tip too hot. Frequent dips into the cooling pot is the way to go.