Author Topic: Padovac  (Read 1386 times)

Ybot

Padovac
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:43:49 AM »
Hi I just needed to let people know of this great new tool from Padovac. I’ve been buying sanding discs and abrasives from them for some time and they have brought out this powered dustless sanding system. I’ve been using it for a week now and I thoroughly recommend it. Check out the wed site if your interested www.padovac.co.uk

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Padovac
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 05:04:27 PM »
If they had really thought about it, they could have incorporated a turbine so the sander powered itself from the airflow!

Also, I found out a long time ago that sanding with a "normal" drill ran the risk of the pad skipping and resulting in damage to the bowl (or whatever was being turned/sanded) so I went for a right angle drill and haven't had a problem since.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
For a first post seems a bit strange most people come in and introduce themselves

Ybot

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 02:42:25 PM »
Hi again I’m sorry I didn’t introduce myself first, I’m not really a woodturner but I have been experimenting with a few bowls on my Harison engineering lathe. I went for the padovac because wood dust causes no end of problems on an engineering workshop. The Padovoc works so well that I thought I must let woodturners know about it. It fits nicely on to a Henry vacuum cleaner.
Regards Toby

Offline Cobbs

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »
Hello forum,

My name is Cobbs and one of your fellow forumites suggested I join up and have a look at a thread about the Pad-O-Vac tool, on the basis of it being me who developed it.

I'd like to answer the points raised.

First, the issue of using a turbine within the body of the tool to power it.  This was indeed the first incarnation of the tool, almost ten years ago now.  I soon learnt that although the turbine would spin the pad very nicely indeed in a no-load situation, as soon as a load was applied, the pad stood still - there is simply not enough torque produced.  I also suspect that even if you could force the air over the turbine with enough force to supply the required torque, doing so would use all the energy available and leave nothing for the intended job of collecting the dust.

Second, the fact that it will not connect to a 4" hose.  I won't spend too much time on that one except to say that neither will my jigsaw, my router, my Skilsaw, or my orbital and belt sanders.

Third,  the fact that it looks cumbersome to use.  I agree - it does, but in this case, looks are deceptive.  In practice, having hand holds that are spread well apart actually make it much more pleasant to use for the job intended, rather than having to have both hands around the body of the drill.  Think about those extra handles that fit on the collars of SDS drills for drilling concrete and the like - they're there for a reason and that reason is control.

Fourth,  I will not offer a review, I'll leave that to others, but the fact is the tool was developed by a "real" turner and that turner was me. If anyone needs proof that I can make a bowl or tool handle, or apply a twist to the stem of a goblet, just ask and I will provide pictures.   I am an asthmatic and I sought to find a way of reducing the dust in my own workshop.  That was quite a while ago now and the Pad-O-Vac tool is the final result.  I am more than pleased with how it performs.

Cobbs.

Offline Cobbs

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 06:51:07 PM »
Hello again.

It would seem we have got off on the wrong foot.  Toby, the starter of this thread, has been a customer of mine for several years, buying abrasives from me.  We have spoken on the phone numerous times.  When he saw the Pad-O-Vac tool advertised on my website, he bought one.  He was impressed with it and on the back of that and off his own bat, posted on the first woodturning forum he found - this one.
While Toby admits to being a novice woodturner, I see nothing wrong in that - after all, were we not all novices at some point?  I must admit to seeing a certain arrogance in condemning someone for that.  At what point does one become an "actual turner"?
After his initial post, Toby saw questions being raised about the design, use and effectiveness of the tool, so contacted me and asked if I would like to answer some of those questions, which I did in my previous post.  I have not used the forum to do a hard sell, merely to reply to the issues raised.
That the youtube video is only two weeks old reflects the fact that it went online at the same time as the tool went on sale - nothing suspicious in that and I fail to see the relevance of it being a new design.  After all, an electric lathe that spins the wood in only one direction was a new design once - are you suggesting that we should all still be bodging in the woods?
I have used the tool on bowls ranging in diameter from 5" to 27" - in fact a closer examination of the video would show that the bowl I use it on is itself less that 10".  The fact that the tool is not in contact with the back of the bowl in the video is easily explained by the very mundane fact that I had only one battery for the newly purchased drill and by the time we shot that part of the video, that battery was flat.  I had a very limited time in which to do the video and was using borrowed equipment.

As far as getting the tool reviewed, I have done my best to do so, but the Covid situation is not making this easy.  Having emailed the Woodturning magazine last week and asked for a review, I had received no answer by this morning, so rang and chased them up.  The girl I spoke to said that the whole crew were working from home and she didn't even know who to put me in touch with.  I will try again later, when things have returned to normal.  I did contact a well known youtube turner, asking him to do a review but had no reply and decided not to push the issue.  Maybe there is one out there reading this who would like to take on the task?

Last week I sent emails to all the woodturning clubs in the country that I am aware of and am considering taking out advertisements in other places  - had I known that advertising was allowed on this forum, I would have taken advantage of the opportunity, as it was, I had assumed that was not the done thing.

I resent the accusation of misusing the forum, when all I have done is answer questions that have been posed.  As for being aware of the AWGB, yes I was, but I am not, nor ever have been a member of any club and was not aware of any magazine. 

I will not post here again, as I have no interest in becoming just another keyboard warrior.