Author Topic: Quiet Dust extraction?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Blake

• iron
Quiet Dust extraction?
« on: November 19, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »
Hi All,

I've been a member for a while but this is my first post and hope you can point me in the right direction. I currently have a jury rigged system where I have created a Cyclone filter (30L Barrel with Cyclone attached to the top) which then attaches to an old hoover - this works surprisingly well and was a very cheap solution - cash flow as always a challenge!  :)

My problem with this setup is one of Noise - not just the fact that it seems deafening in my workshop shed, but I'm also conscious of annoying near-by neighbors with this running for lengths of time on a regular basis - does anyone have advise on reasonable cost alternate set ups or modifications to the existing set up? I've been looking at various options but they all seem to be pretty similar volume wise as per my current setup eg: 65-75 DCB range.

Any tips/pointers/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Quiet Dust extraction?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
You can build an enclosure for it which has some sort of insulation but it would need to have a good air flow through it this is achieved by designing it with baffles which is what will deaden the noise quite a bit of the noise you will find comes from the exhaust side of a vac

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 01:51:30 PM »
It is a consistent issue for wood workers how to quieten down the extractor! The CamVac system has an optional exhaust tube that is surprisingly effective at damping down the noise, I used to run a record power DX1000 inside an OSB constructed cupboard lined with acoustic foam which helped a bit! I now have a High Flow Low Pressure chip extractor which is a different pitch of sound that is not quite so piercing, that is housed outside the workshop in an acoustically insulated extension but for that to work it needs large diameter ducting (5" on mine) and still I can't use it in the evenings!

Only plus side is dust extraction only works on dust, so pretty much only needed for sanding so by planning my work I can aim to be making shavings in the evenings save all my sawing, routing, and sanding for day time when the neighbours are less likely to notice!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Blake

• iron
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
Many thanks for the advise - acoustic foam ordered and weekend of cabinet construction ahead of me  ;D

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »
As said the CamVacs are very good and pretty quiet when fitted with an exhaust hose and baffle box. They use one at the club and it’s great. Alternatively just poke the end of the hose out the shed, just not on next doors washing day!  ;D

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 12:47:37 AM »
Adding more pipe work and a baffle may reduce noise but the increased resistance will also reduce airflow.

Offline Blake

• iron
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 09:56:10 AM »
Thanks all for your feed back, I've now constructed a 'sound damping' rather than sound proof enclosure which has certainly reduced the volume to a more acceptable level - key challenge as people have highlighted was air flow and heat - I seem to have found a happy compromise with these versus noise currently but may fit a hear sensor cutoff as a precaution - not a problem currently during the winter months but suspect may be more of an issue when the sunshine finally returns  :)