Author Topic: Chuck choice  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Flame

• iron
Chuck choice
« on: November 21, 2020, 09:05:24 AM »
Hi people, have been turning between centres up till now, using live and dead centres. Now want to use a chuck, not clued up on them so asking for advice, after a decent one, size of blanks 12mm to
 33mm, is there any that would suit, tia  Bill.
Forgot to say it's  3/4''x x16tpi .
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:14:38 AM by Flame »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Chuck choice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
Any one of several makes of chuck would do the job. If you’re using blanks that small though your choice of chuck may be heavily influenced by the accessory jaws available. I’ve had a few chucks in the past but prefer the stainless steel Axminster SK100.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
I have three Axminster SK100 chucks and a variety of jaws can’t better them in my opinion.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
They are the best I’ve used Dave. Being made in the UK of stainless steel is a bonus in my opinion but of course there are cheaper chucks out there that will do the job. I bought a RP SC4 as a second chuck for my Axminster lathe and it didn’t seem to fit the register as well as the SK100. I’ve also heard complaints of them going rusty.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
I tried lots of different chucks during my 'Scribbling' years and my favourite would be the Sorby Patriot, which seems to have a greater range of movement than others. Also its cleverly designed jaws do a raft of different jobs according to how you employ them. Because of this 2 jawsets covers most requirements.
The chuck I would suggest you avoid like the plague (now there's an old saying that seems suddenly outdated!) is the Nova, which has a left handed scroll which means you undo to tighten up. If you think that wording is confusing just try using one!!!
Brian

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »
I have a versa chuck which I have fitted this set of Axminster jaws to They are great jaws and give a good range in the smaller sizes. So if you go for an Axminster chuck this set is worth adding to your arsenal

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 11:19:42 PM »
The chuck I would suggest you avoid like the plague (now there's an old saying that seems suddenly outdated!) is the Nova, which has a left handed scroll which means you undo to tighten up. If you think that wording is confusing just try using one!!!
Brian

I never understood the reasoning behind this as as far as I’m aware every other type of chuck both metal working and wood working tightens the “right” way?

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
Brian

I never understood the reasoning behind this as as far as I’m aware every other type of chuck both metal working and wood working tightens the “right” way?
I believe the original marketing for the chuck mentioned something along the lines that with the direction of rotation on the lathe it ensured the chuck didn't untighten...never believed it myself  ;D

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Whilst I agree with the recommendations for Axminster chucks (my personal favorite) it may not be the best option if there is the possibility of upgrading the lathe at a future date.

All new Axminster chucks are direct threaded so there is no facility to change their thread and so any lathe upgrade would more than likely incur the additional cost of a new chuck body. In these circumstances I generally recommend a Versa chuck or a Record SC4; Patriot and Nova chucks have fewer insert options - notably M33 is not available.

Mark

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
Whilst I agree with the recommendations for Axminster chucks (my personal favorite) it may not be the best option if there is the possibility of upgrading the lathe at a future date.

All new Axminster chucks are direct threaded so there is no facility to change their thread and so any lathe upgrade would more than likely incur the additional cost of a new chuck body. In these circumstances I generally recommend a Versa chuck or a Record SC4; Patriot and Nova chucks have fewer insert options - notably M33 is not available.

Mark

That is the reason I went down the Versa chuck route. I know many will say now that supply is a problem since the Toolpost stopped trading that is one reason I brought the 33mm adapter to at least allow me to use it when I upgrade from my present lathe. Luckily another supplier has stepped up and taken it on

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:48:36 PM »

Mark

The Patriot wouldn't have an M33 adaptor, because the Patriot chuck direct thread is an M33 anyway.

However I would advise that anyone buys an M33 chuck as that does look to be the emerging spindle standard, then uses an insert or exert to size to the currently owned lathe, no guarantee that M35 won't be the standard from x years time, but you have to take a chance somewhere!

Personally I liked the Patriot chuck I had for many years, backed up with a supernova which apart from the Nova having the chuck key the wrong way round was also a good chuck, and I do like that they and the record power chuck range have inter-changeable multi vendor jaws.

I would say unless you are very sure stick to known brands, I saw a cheep 4" chuck which appeared to be a nova knock off (same appearance but I didn't actually test fit it with screws and jaws so can't be certain) bought from China, which had stamped on the back max 500rpm which would appear to indicate that it was not a safe option.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »

That is the reason I went down the Versa chuck route. I know many will say now that supply is a problem since the Toolpost stopped trading that is one reason I brought the 33mm adapter to at least allow me to use it when I upgrade from my present lathe. Luckily another supplier has stepped up and taken it on
There is a new supplier for the Versa chuck but can't remember who.  ::)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 01:40:19 PM »
Mark,
I think it is Beaufort Inks.

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »

There is a new supplier for the Versa chuck but can't remember who.  ::)

beaufortink.co.uk He is still waiting for stock to arrive from the manufacturer

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 04:28:32 PM »
The problem with interchangeable thread inserts is that there is a very real risk of the chuck not running perfectly concentrically. I think this was part of the problem with the SC4 that I bought and then sold on. Axminster and any other direct thread chucks should be a lot more accurate. As I have a dial gauge I should have compared the SC4 with the Axminster before I sold it.  :-\  Axminster also try to make their chucks as compact (thin) as they can without compromising the design. If you look at some chucks they are somewhat larger. Keeping things as close to the headstock bearings helps to reduce unwanted vibrations at higher speeds. M33 x 3.5 is now somewhat of a standard* so if you buy a chuck to fit a modern lathe then it’s highly likely to fit a new machine if you upgrade.

* I’m not sure but I think they use a different registration size down under?