Author Topic: Here’s one to get a varied response  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Lurpak

• iron
Here’s one to get a varied response
« on: October 30, 2020, 10:59:54 PM »
I’ve got a record 8inch grinder, good enough I believe......

But what jig should I purchase?

I bought a cheap imitation jig set online, and it just about does ok, I’m now ready to get something better

Any help gratefully received

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Here’s one to get a varied response
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »
I’ve recommended the Robert Sorby Sharpening System to several folks and they all seem to like it. Unlike many others “systems” it’s very compact without having long steel support arms sticking out into the work space.

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/deluxe-universal-sharpening-system/p460

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 01:05:10 PM »
I have the Tormek Bench Grinder jig allows me to use the Tormek Jigs on my Bench Grinder

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 01:47:02 PM »
you don't need any jigs.

learn to do it free hand as it is the best skill you can have.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 02:30:53 PM »
I use a slow grider and a sorby jig - worked for me for 20 years.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »
Up until a few months ago I sharpened freehand on a large bench grinder with a CBN wheel. Now I have finally bitten the bullet and got the Sorby pro-edge machine which is, for me, quicker and way easier to get a consistently good grind, without any slight variability that I reckon you will almost always get sharpening freehand.

In fact, the Sorby machine is so good, I have even started sharpening my bench tools (chisels, plane irons, etc) with it, with impressive results. Having always sharpened my bench tools on a diamond plate, I was pretty sure there was no way a machine could get my plane irons as sharp as I could by hand, but it appears I was wrong. Now a quick tickle up with a 600 grit belt and then stropping by hand, and the blades are razor sharp - as good as anything I have used before.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 05:05:13 PM »
Steve's (Seventhdevils) remark is fair enough, if you're a professional sharpening your tools on a very regular basis, although it has to be said that many pros use systems and jigs. In all the years that I've been attending club meetings, I don't recall having once seen a professional freehand-sharpen a finger-nail ground gouge! For the average amateur or hobby turner, I think that jigs and systems are invaluable and I'm in much the same boat as  Percy (the previous writer), that I have gone from freehand to jigs and would not wish to go back. The simple fact that a gouge can be placed in a jig at precisely the same position every time means that a minimal amount of steel will be removed to give a good edge.

I use the Pro-Edge and love it!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 05:37:55 PM »
Looks mean nothing I suppose but I’ve never seen a hand ground gouge that looks anything near as well done as a newcomer using a jig. It’s fair to say I’ve also never seen a new tool offered for sale that looked either hand ground or done on a wheel, they’ve all had flat grinds. The Sorby ProEdge is very good but the albeit more expensive Axminster Ultimate Edge looks a better option to me having variable speed and reverse. It also takes all the Tormek jigs.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-ultimate-edge-variable-speed-sharpening-system-106232

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »
No way I could ever get a edge freehand that I can get using a jig

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 07:12:06 PM »
As below there are 3 basic choices the Sorby option is good, it is what I started with, then the Tormek bar for high speed grinders allows you to use any of the Tormek jigs.

Then of course there is the ProEdge but that is a different ball game.

I have in the past, and still do sharpen some gouges by hand. IF I am only using one gouge one angle it is quick and easy but when using a variety of tools sharpening by eye takes longer and is less accurate so I like jigs they get me back to the lathe quicker.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »
I used to sharpen all my tools freehand and got acceptable results after plenty of pratice. Now I sharpen some of my gouges with a jig and they last five times longer so I think the cost of the jigs was more than recovered in how much I've saved on tools.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »
One of the things repeated quite often at my wood turning club was not to take the tool straight to the grinder when it dulls, but to touch it up with a small diamond hone by hand. This seems to work well and I’m sure makes your tools last longer.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
One of the things repeated quite often at my wood turning club was not to take the tool straight to the grinder when it dulls, but to touch it up with a small diamond hone by hand. This seems to work well and I’m sure makes your tools last longer.

I  suspect that this "knowledge" was imparted in the days where 30 turners in a factory were sharing one grind stone, and taking the opportunity for a natter in the queue  ;D

A lot of modern methods were not available in days gone by, while I do like the history I do also like the ease that modernity brings in electric lathes, HSS, sharpening systems, and though yet to try them maybe even carbide at some point.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 04:21:33 PM »
There is a lot written about tool sharpening in general and also about sharpening woodturning tools. But as one that earns a living turning now, but as a bench joiner/wood machinist in the past, the important thing about sharpening your tools is...wait for it.....they have to be sharp! So regardless of this jig or that, or using this grinder as opposed to another the end result should be a sharp tool. The grinders I use are from B&Q and still have the grey wheel that they came with. I have one Elu grinder fitted with white wheels and I use a Sorby grinding jig and two others that I have made myself (both roughly 60 degrees). Do not be romanced into buying kit who's sole purpose is to make money for those that make them. The tool industry is very good at seducing prospective buyers.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
Far too many of us get caught up with the idea that a tool must be precisely identical in shape and angle every time but.... in my opinion..... this is a red herring. When we drive multiple vehicles we dont insist all the clutch pedals are identically set up we just get on and think nothing of the minor mental adjustment required. Why would it be any different with a turning tool? The only two requirements are that a tool be sharp and predictable in use.... whatever shape/system/jig/technique you settle on.
In answer to the original question.....Half speed grinder/wide white wheels and 2 elderly jigs, one for fingernail ground tools and one for the rest.
Brian