Author Topic: Ginkgo wood  (Read 878 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Ginkgo wood
« on: October 07, 2020, 05:33:36 PM »
ok then, who's had some???

i've just got my hands on some lovely chunks and what to know what it looks like turned.

only found two references to it on the search function. TWIG cant be the only turner on her who managed to get some???

i've already cut some up. lovely looking timber...

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Ginkgo wood
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 10:25:15 PM »
Had a gtree in one bgarden oncde but aside from that all I know is it is one of the oldest recorded trees around.

:Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Redwill

• iron
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
Have two sections of trunk from a Ginko tree cut down by a neighbour  last year air drying,   Yet to turn any but  from the  pieces I got when cutting a section out of the stump that was left,  to receive plant pots,  it appear to be a uniform milkly colour.  The small pieces dried very quickly with little sign of  warp or cracking.    The small bits were light in weight compared to say Sycamore.    I put a scraper and sandpaper over a thin bit  mainly with the grain and it appears that it could finish well although end grain may be more of a challenge.   The two bits of trunk approx  24" dia and 3ft long have been left supported of the ground in a shaded area and in 12 months have lost about 25% of weight with almost  no sign of end cracking and the bark has not come away.    Thats all I can say as it the only  cut piece of this species I have seen.   Will be attacking the two lumps in the next few weeks hoping something good will come from it....    Regards   Bill

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
i'm going to be turning some of mine today just to rough out a few bits.

the bit i microwaved lost 50% of its weight.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:43:27 PM »
got some bowl blanks of this stuff.

i'll turn one as soon as i get the chance.

got a stonking great vase blank too.