Author Topic: Here’s one to get a varied response  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Here’s one to get a varied response
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 02:00:19 PM »
Far too many of us get caught up with the idea that a tool must be precisely identical in shape and angle every time but.... in my opinion..... this is a red herring. When we drive multiple vehicles we dont insist all the clutch pedals are identically set up we just get on and think nothing of the minor mental adjustment required. Why would it be any different with a turning tool?
Brian

Your analogy doesn’t really stand up. If you’re turning say a bowl and are happy with the cut until the gouge dulls and then after sharpening it cuts quite differently would you be happy? Or put another way, if the clutch in your car mentioned above operated differently every time you changed gear would that be good, I don’t think so.

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 05:34:50 PM »
I don't have a clutch in my car , I do have 2 sharpening systems , A pro sharp and Slow grind with 8in CBN, both are suitable for giving me the grind I want, I also use carbide tools,  probably most of the time I only use 2 to 3 tools on any project, there is to much fuss made of what angle do grind at I have yet to meet any turner who can tell the difference between  45 degree and 42 other than its 3    but always before the last cut tune up the tool
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 10:50:58 PM »
Far too many of us get caught up with the idea that a tool must be precisely identical in shape and angle every time but.... in my opinion..... this is a red herring. When we drive multiple vehicles we dont insist all the clutch pedals are identically set up we just get on and think nothing of the minor mental adjustment required. Why would it be any different with a turning tool? The only two requirements are that a tool be sharp and predictable in use.... whatever shape/system/jig/technique you settle on.
In answer to the original question.....Half speed grinder/wide white wheels and 2 elderly jigs, one for fingernail ground tools and one for the rest.
Brian

I sort of agree, and in truth though I say my main bowl gouges are at 55° they may be 53° or 57° I don't know or care, but I would be wasting time and tool length if I constantly switched between 53 and 57 if I am just polishing the edge on the same grind then it may make a difference on when I buy a new gouge, possibly!

I do have some 40/40 grind that is still done freehand and it is noticeable how easy that is if I am just using that tool, where if I am using a roughing gouge at 45, spindle at 35 skew at 15 parting tool at 25 then want to accurately judge the 40/40 it isn't impossible but it takes a bit longer so a bit more metal gets subtracted.

My tools seldom leave my workshop especially this year! but if they do I tend to sharpen them on my system before I go and not sharpen them again until I get home, even if it is the same rig as mine, it isn't at the same height / position and I don't need to so I don't.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »
I think the basis of my last post went seriously deeper than just sharpening tools.
Since turning evolved from fringe skill to the widespread hobby it is today, information has been spread far and wide in print, by demonstration and teaching. This has, of course, helped us all move forward and improve our skills but, like all things in life, it also has a downside. I would suggest that many of us have lost sight of the fact that almost everything we read, watch or hear about turning is merely somebody's opinion, and is free to change over time and between different turners. I contend that there are very few facts in turning, which remain fixed and unchanging.
So why am I so relieved at the various responses to my sharpening post?
Some folk are agreeing with my statements, some disagreeing and many are falling somewhere in between but they are all offering the reasoning behind their personal views.... and that is the most healthy thing Ive seen on here for a while.
Encouraging others, especially newbies who are still feeling their way into this strange, often confusing, world of ours, to realise that there are far more ways than one to swing a cat and that to succeed they will, sooner or later, need to think things through for themselves is, surely the best favour we can offer both them and the craft-at-large.
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »
There is a tendency amongst some to think that their wy of doing things is the only way. As you say seeing so many varied ways on this thread is rather novel and good. I am one of the ones who free hand sharpens most of the time biut that is just my way and as I am a skinflint as well as a pro turner I am loathe to fork out a fortune on the equipment that others use. The only time I think we should perhaps be dogmatic is when someone offers an idea that is actually dangrous otherwise it's horses for courses

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »
just to prove my last point I almost agree with Pete!
How can we be dogmatic about any perceived danger to someone else when we don't have the full facts about the person concerned, his abilities and environment. We can only ever offer a warning and, hopefully, an alternative method, and leave the receiver to make his own decisions concerning the risk..... In my opinion, of course!!!!!
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »
The OP hasn’t come back so he’s probably taken up a different hobby ...   ;D

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »
Sure I saw it on here.... ask any 10 woodturners how to do something, you will get at least 11 different answers.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)