Author Topic: SIP lathes  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Gav Eades

• iron
  • New to turning 2020
SIP lathes
« on: October 06, 2020, 04:48:49 PM »
Ayup, has anyone got any thoughts on this lathe.....

https://kendaltools.co.uk/product/sip-01938-wood-lathe-complete-on-leg-stand-3-4hp-motor/

Or any recommendations around this price point

Cheers  :)
A man who thinks he knows everything actually knows nothing

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: SIP lathes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
I notice the lathe has 3/4 x 16tpi thread. Look out for a lathe with M33 x 3.5, better selection of kit  available.

Have you looked at Axminster lathes??
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Gav Eades

• iron
  • New to turning 2020
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
I've got an administer at the moment but it's only a 'basic' lathe.
I've seen this

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-ac370wl-variable-speed-woodturning-lathe-105116

To be honest after looking for most of the day I might just save a bit more money, around a grand, then have another look. Just bear with my lathe for now.

Thanks for the reply

Offline Gav Eades

• iron
  • New to turning 2020
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 07:28:41 PM »
I've got an administer at the moment but it's only a 'basic' lathe.
I've seen this

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-ac370wl-variable-speed-woodturning-lathe-105116

To be honest after looking for most of the day I might just save a bit more money, around a grand, then have another look. Just bear with my lathe for now.

Thanks for the reply
Axminster

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 07:55:16 PM »
That’s a “Reeves Drive” lathe.  They work perfectly well but not as nice as variable speed electronic drive machines. Speed on Reeves drives should only be altered while the machine is running and can be a little noisy. They also need regular maintenance of the drive pulleys to keep them working well and preventing drive belts breaking.

Simon Hope sell some nice lathes.

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/

Offline Gav Eades

• iron
  • New to turning 2020
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 08:03:08 PM »
After looking at reviews I'm going to save some more cash and go with either axminster or hope.

Thanks for the reply

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
I had an Axminster Reeves Drive lathe years ago and it worked fine but it’s not as nice to use as my current Axminster inverter drive lathe. Big difference in price though!

Offline Gav Eades

• iron
  • New to turning 2020
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »
Yeah it looks like I'll have to get my saving head on and persevere with my lathe.
Cheers

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »
The big mistake I first made was to buy the biggest lathe I could afford, an Axminster Reeves Drive model. In the end it took up so much space I ended up stripping it down to give me space to do other stuff. My current lathe is an Axminster AT1416VS which is really nice and can swing a 14” blank which is great for a small lathe. The problem is it’s a bit short at times between centres. You can buy an extension for it but it’s ridiculously long in my opinion and very expensive. My ideal lathe if I could justify the expense would be the Simon Hope Midi Pro with the extension, (fitted only when needed).

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-and-chucks/midi-pro-woodturning-lathe/201/ks-midi-pro-woodturning-lathe?c=48

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »
Yeah it looks like I'll have to get my saving head on and persevere with my lathe.
Cheers

That is an excellent plan, the more you turn the more you will know what you want from a lathe, what will fit in comfortably into your workshop etc. then buy, buy the best lathe to meet your needs, which will reduce the need to replace it down the line.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:55:31 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Gav Eades

• iron
  • New to turning 2020
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »
Thank you all for the advice and information everyone. Looking at reviews and other posts on here it looks like I can't go wrong with all the Simon Hope gear, lathe and tools.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 04:54:31 PM »
I’ve met Simon Hope at several of the shows and he’s a very nice bloke. The stuff he sells is very good quality.