Author Topic: Very sad day.  (Read 1261 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Very sad day.
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:00:34 PM »
Mark Baker who many of us knew as a friend and as the editor of the Woodturning magazine passed away last night. Very very sad loss . Will be missed by many of us. Resyt in peace and thank you for all you did for woodturning and for tose lof us who knew you.

Pete

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 10:18:13 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Very sad day.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »
I have known for some time that Mark was suffering and it was only a matter of time before he sadly passed away and i knew it was coming but that has made it no easier to accept.Mark was a great friend and always had time for everybody I will miss him greatly.I have lost a valued friend but at least it is the end of his suffering.God bless you Mark rest in peace my friend.

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 10:39:58 AM »

This is indeed a sad moment not only for his family but the woodturning community. Having spoke to Mark on the phone on quite a few occasions I always enjoyed the chats we had. He will be sadly missed

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

Very sad news indeed Mark will be sadly missed by the Woodturning fraternity he was always very helpful my condolences to his Wife and Family a Great Guy  R.I.P. Mark
                                          John Smith Burcot Woodturners   
John Smith

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 11:16:31 AM »
As has been said elsewhere, knowing that Mark was suffering , does not make it any easier.

RIP Mark, my friend.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »
Very sad news indeed, what a great loss to our woodturning community.
I spent a fair bit of time with Mark and Sarah on the Woodturning Cruise in 2014 and learnt a lot from him on tuition days.
His editorial pieces in the Woodturning magazine were always an interesting read and his demos an education to watch.
RIP Mark.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 11:59:21 AM »
Really sad to hear about Mark. He was a lovely guy and I had lots of conversations with him over the years. Sincere condolences to his family.
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 01:55:57 PM »

Very Sad News indeed ... All our thoughts are with Marks  family at this very sad time.

We in the woodturning community have lost a force for promoting the hobby which will be sorely missed.
  We remember the encouragement we received personally over many years. we are sure the legacy Mark has left for all
  woodturners will endure well into the future

Tony and Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 02:04:37 PM »
Mark was a great supporter of woodturning and would go out of his way to help anyone. The woodturning community has lost a true ambassador and many of us have lost a friend. My thoughts are with Marks family.

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »
Mark was always easy to talk to and willing to give advice, he will certainly be missed
My sincerest condolences to his family
John

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 05:33:37 PM »
We have enjoyed many a great demo with Mark, and he not only shared his woodturning skills but showed what a lovely man he was
Ron
Bury St Edmunds woodturning Club

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »
I first met Mark Baker, very fleetingly, more years ago than either of us would care to admit to. Neither had the first inkling how our paths would progress and cross some years into the future.
More by luck and good fortune than planning or wise judgement I discovered an unexpected ability to string words together so I set out to convince the world I was now a journo. On my second or third 'Editor Safari' guess who I discovered was editing at Woodturning?
There followed a 15 year friendship, mostly, but not solely, restricted to the telephone. His way of doing business was always straight, open and transparent and we writers always knew exactly where we stood with him.
As I got to know him better I became aware that he was blessed with two internal switches, plus a tiny, well hidden, button, which it became my ambition to press whenever possible.
Mark's first switch was the professional one. Nothing was allowed to get in the way of business while we discussed my ideas and plans for upcoming articles, and his regular, knowledgeable and wise ideas and suggestions for their improvement (I took great delight on one occasion teasing him with the news that I always agreed with his ideas and listened to his requirements, always kept them uppermost in my mind while scribbling, but, strangely, they hardly ever seemed to find their way onto the paper!).
Once all the professional 'T's' were crossed and 'I's' dotted Mark's second switch was actuated and the joking, giggling and leg-pulling commenced. Those phone calls are about the only thing I still miss since retirement overtook me.
And what of that well hidden button, I hear you ask?
Well, just occasionally, Mark could be taken unawares by something comical and then he had the loudest, most uncontrolled guffaw imaginable. I only succeeded in pressing that button on a very few occasions but hey...that was success. I wonder if anyone reading this remembers that Loughboro seminar when Mark stopped a hundred conversations by laughing, doubled up for apparently no reason when all around him were deadly serious? It was just after a body had rudely pushed past him and possibly muttered something in his ear.
Many years ago I did a series of biogs of the leading woodyturners of the day and insisted the list wouldn't be complete unless I did one on Mark Baker, himself. It was agreed and I was welcomed into his workshop and home by his wife and two beautiful young daughters. I submitted the finished article and was most surprised to receive my fee by return, before it had a chance to go to print. When I asked why the change of procedure Mark thanked me and said he wasn't going to print the piece but wanted me to be paid before I found out so I couldn't refuse. Modesty had got the better of him but went hand in hand with his inability to be anything but scrupulously fair.
I enjoyed Mark's company for those 15 years and am truly glad he was a part of my professional life for so long. I now bitterly regret not keeping in touch with him after I put down my quill but now he is no more I am convinced the world is a poorer place for his passing.
Mark Baker, rest in peace old partner, you were truly one of the good guys!
Brian
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:27:16 PM by BrianH »

Online Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 07:09:34 PM »
I have created a condolences book on the AWGB website if you would like to post your condolences there. At an appropriate time the contents will be passed on to Mark's family.

The url for the page is https://www.awgb.co.uk/mark-baker/