Author Topic: record power coronet herald  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Drewcole

• iron
record power coronet herald
« on: September 26, 2020, 11:35:58 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my lathe after getting hooked on turning. I'm looking at spending around the £1k mark and like the look of the coronet herald.

Was wondering if anyone has used one? If so plus points and anything you may not of liked.

Also is there anything else worth considering in that price range?

Cheers drew

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: record power coronet herald
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
Hi Drew, Have a look at Andrew Hall's Yew-tube site. Here is a link that you may find of use. Andrew is very obliging and would happily answer a query. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP4q3j0sqFY --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 09:20:19 PM »
If it were me I’d try to find a bit more of the folding stuff and get this:

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-and-chucks/midi-pro-woodturning-lathe/201/ks-midi-pro-woodturning-lathe?c=48

At 65Kg versus the 48Kg of the Herald I’d expect it to absorb vibrations a lot better. The KS Midi has a 3PH motor with an inverter drive, the controls for which can be placed almost anywhere you like on the lathe. The herald looks to have a DC motor with membrane control buttons which I’m not a fan of. The KS midi is shorter but you can get a short extension that fits on the end or the side of the lathe if you need it at a later date. See pictures on the linked website.

Another option is the Axminster:

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-series-at1416vs-woodturning-lathe-501214

This is a lighter lathe at 41Kg though and once again is not as long as the Herald between centres. You can only buy a long extension for it which is pricey. I have this lathe and it’s very good. Lots of clubs and demonstrators have bought this lathe and preceding models due to its quality build. I like mine but wish it was four or five inches longer between centres or they’d at least make a short extension available for it like the KS Midi mentioned.

Edit:Simon Hope also sells this lathe a bit cheaper.

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/woodturning-lathes-and-chucks/midi-lathe-fu-350/114/midi-woodturning-lathe-fu-350?c=34

Or you could get the upgraded German version shipped over?

https://www.dictum.com/en/lathe-equipment-and-maintenance-bagaf/dictum-lathe-s-175-707783

Let us know what you decide!

Offline Drewcole

• iron
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 09:20:08 AM »
Thanks for replying guys, will look up the recommendations. For some reason I don't like the look of the axeminster lathes really need to try one out I guess.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 10:49:32 AM »
As I mentioned, the Axminster AT1416VS - now called the AT350WL is a well respected lathe used by many pros for demonstrations and as a second lathe. It can spin a 14” blank which is good for a modest size lathe.

Out of your budget but two of my friends have the Axminster AT406WL lathe and they are very pleased with them. Both of the Axminster lathes mentioned get largely 5 star reviews.

One additional thing I recently saw is that the Herald doesn’t have a self ejecting tail stock which is very odd in this day and age, you have to used a knock out rod to remove tooling. Additionally I’m lead to believe selecting forward and reverse is not as straightforward as on the Simon Hope and Axminster lathes.

Offline Drewcole

• iron
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
I'll take a look at the axeminster, I have a store near by I think. Just seen the price of the stand  :o wow

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
The legs on the Herald seem to just be hollow steel tube as in one video I saw the guy said he filled them with sand to increase the weight. The Axminster lathes vary in construction but the bigger ones have heavy cast iron legs. I know because I helped a friend assemble his lathe!

To change direction on most lathes you just stop it, flick a switch to reverse and start again. This is the Herald controller which looks like a bit of a faff by comparison.

https://youtu.be/gHd4Do6W1R0

I also saw this a while back on FB so if you get a Herald it’s worth checking the Banjo. No problems getting faulty ones replaced as RP service is really good.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:44:32 PM by Bill21 »

Offline Drewcole

• iron
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 04:06:22 PM »
Just had a look at the video, I see what you mean.

Will have a drive over to axeminster for a closer look at what they have. I do like the idea of a turning headstock though

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 06:09:46 PM »
A headstock that can turn can be useful at times. If you want the feature in order to turn larger bowls or platters though it can be problematic without a suitable rest. Some lathes come with a “rest extension” whilst others have it as an accessory. I’ve not found them very rigid though myself. This is the type of thing. Far better to budget for a free standing floor rest.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 10:27:39 AM »
Have you considered Stewart Furini's Wivamac in the For Sale forum?
A well respected lathe from a well respected forum member.
Duncan

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 07:33:16 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my lathe after getting hooked on turning. I'm looking at spending around the £1k mark and like the look of the coronet herald.

Was wondering if anyone has used one? If so plus points and anything you may not of liked.

Cheers drew
Drew, the1k for the Herald does not include the stand, bench feet or the extension,  makes it nearer 1.5k!
Ron

Offline Drewcole

• iron
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »
Hi Ron,

I've seen a few deals that will give you the legs or feet for £1k. Not really after the extension as I not making anything that long at the moment. Will probably need the feet as I'm 6'4"

There are just so many different options it's a bit overwhelming

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 02:50:02 PM »
Hi guys,

Cheers drew

What part of the country are you in ?

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 04:33:18 PM »

I sent you a personal message if you are after cheap turning tools.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Drewcole

• iron
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
Up in Newcastle but do get down to London and Essex fairly often