Author Topic: Sorby/ Axminster toolposts  (Read 1589 times)

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
Sorby/ Axminster toolposts
« on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:58 AM »
Anyone know if the Sorby and Axminster toolposts have the same thread size, and what the thread size/s is/are.

Thanks

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Sorby/ Axminster toolposts
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »
A friend has both types and he says they are not compatible.

I’m lead to believe the thread size on the Robert Sorby is 12mm x 1.25 metric fine. No idea of the Axminster thread but I could find out if needed.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:16:04 PM by Bill21 »

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:03:31 PM »
Sorby is definitely 12 x 1.25 I had to tap a thread recently for my router table that mounts in the banjo. This is a finer thread than normal for 12mm.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 07:29:47 PM »
Why cant manufacturers stadadise more, for example power tool maker have a dust extraction point which will accepta vacuum cleaner?
Ron

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:35:33 PM »
Sorby is definitely 12 x 1.25 I had to tap a thread recently for my router table that mounts in the banjo. This is a finer thread than normal for 12mm.

Yes, M12 is normally 1.75mm which is quite coarse for an application like this.

Axminster may just have other ideas about the best thread for the job. Bit like lathes really, huge range of different spindle threads out there. It’s only in fairly recent years many manufacturers have settled on M33 x3.5 and even now apparently there are two different registration sizes.  ::)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »
The Axi thread is coarser than Sorby but apparently not metric - perhaps an imperial thread??

But why buy into a system other than to save space? If I was looking for round toolrests, I'd consider the Stiles and Bates welded ones:
https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/s-b-round-bar-tool-rests-655.php

They can't unscrew themselves and don't need constant unscrewing/screwing when changing toolrests. Just my view, and OP no doubt knows what he wants and why he wants it.

Duncan

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:50:25 PM »
I think it’s easier for the manufacturers!  ;D  I made a couple of these for myself with no intention of ever swapping the heads over. I rarely use them though, I much prefer conventional rests.

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 08:46:13 PM »
Had confirmation today from Axminster that their toolposts are M12 x 1.25 as well.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »
Had confirmation today from Axminster that their toolposts are M12 x 1.25 as well.

That’s interesting. Perhaps they have changed the threads at some point? Or maybe the length of the thread is different?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
M12 x 1.25 is a standard ISO thread, it's just not very common. Most likely this was chosen over the more common M12 x 1.75 because it provides better grip at the expense of less strength. Clearly the one thing you wouldn't want is for the top to get loose when you're in the middle of some turning.

Standardisation has always been a contentious issue. Obviously customers want it, but for suppliers it opens the door to all sorts of issues (like people starting a debate with a lathe manufacturer where in reality the issue is with the maker of the chuck). And by the way: The only three countries who have never signed up to the metric system are Myanmar, Liberia and the United States, and that's one of the main reasons many commonly used standards in the anglophile world are still in imperial measurements.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:30:02 PM »
A now sadly deceased clubmate, a car mechanic by trade, made me several welded toolrests/posts out of the centre spindles from shock absorbers. They are polished, hardened steel and are superb for smooth sliding....... Just a wee bit off topic but I thought it might be of interest to someone out there.
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:53:42 PM »
There are four M12 threads that I’m aware of but as said the coarse 1.75 seems the most common.

https://journeymans-workshop.uk/isometric.php