Author Topic: Versachuck 3 For sale  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Parrot62

• iron
Versachuck 3 For sale
« on: August 23, 2020, 07:10:39 AM »
Hi,

I am new to the forum, just bough my first Wood lathe, (Old like me)  and started to upgrade it.
My spindle size is M39x4 I am looking to buy a versachuck which is out of stock on ToolPost

The versa chuck allows me to change the backplate for the spindle.

Question: does anyone have or know about a versachuck for sale?

Best regards, Robert

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Versachuck 3 For sale
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 07:29:54 PM »
Robert,

M39 x 4mm is not a thread I can even find on my spindle data chart, can you give us some more information on the Lathe please.

The nearest thread I know to what you say you have is the Sorby adaptor, which is M38 to fit inside their chucks and then have the needed spindle thread for the lathe. I am wondering if you have one of them on the headstock and have not realised it is removable.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Parrot62

• iron
Re: Versachuck 3 For sale
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »
I think M39x4 is very rare, used on big metal turning lathes.
I have found backplates for metalworking chucks at this size but no adapters for wood turning chucks.

My lathe is old, to heavy for me too move alone, it has no visible manufacturer labels.
It may well be a custom build, wide Span and long length
It has a metal turning type 3jaw chuck the previous owner used it for wood. 17in span.

Unfortunately the spindle is indeed threaded at M39, I saw the Sorby M38 but it’s thread at 3mm.

It look like I have a solution with Oneway, they have offered to cut my an M39 adapter for thier stronghold chuck. Hopefully this will work out. It a superb chuck too.