Author Topic: Lucas/Hanoi Towers  (Read 914 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Lucas/Hanoi Towers
« on: August 14, 2020, 09:21:23 AM »
An early Christmas present set made in lockdown for our kids and their cousins (so 9 puzzles needed).  The puzzle is well known and reasonably challenging (move the disks one at a time between posts to make a new tower, no disk ever to lie on a smaller disk - a good explanation is on Wikipedia) so the variations here are the variety of woods used (box-padauk-lignum vitae-rosewood-tiger myrtle-oak base) which is just decorative (& what I had!) and the round format (we are woodturners after all!).  The posts are dyed with food dyes and the oil finish is 'food safe'.  The circular depression in the base serves as a chucking point but those who abhor these could just see it as protection for the stick-on explanatory label! The rubber band stapled inside the depressed base can be flipped round to hold the disks in place for storage.  The real-life colours (for example the posts and rosewood) are brighter than the pic suggests.

Some interest perhaps in the jig used to make the disks in sets of 9.  This is quite straightforward (M10 bolt tightened with a socket spanner) and the disks have 12mm holes for the 10mm posts, with the holes made before mounting on the jig.  The sandpaper wrapper on the bolt fills in the space so the disks are fairly firm, though they are really held by the tightened bolt's axial pressure against the turned cup-with-a-hole-in-the-base end-piece which is dovetailed on the outside to fit in a chuck.  The conical fitting on the tailstock rotating centre is standard Axminster unit for their rotating centre and fits over the bolt head. Otherwise fairly obvious I think.  One detail - the myrtle was a bit split-prone and rounding was partly done with coarse (80 grit) sandpaper which I bought long ago and was glad to find a use for. And one other detail - the oak base was initially held on a faceplate that included 3 60 degree spaced holes, which defined the ultimate post positions.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:35:44 AM by willstewart »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Lucas/Hanoi Towers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »
I loved solving puzzles as a kid (I still do - did I ever grow up?) and the Tower of Hanoi was one of my favorites.

I think they will go down very well with all the children.

The technique you put together to batch produce these is something I've now put into the back of my head, to be pulled out one day when I have a similar need, so than you for that as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline willstewart

• gold
Re: Lucas/Hanoi Towers
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »
dr4g0nfly - thanks!  One tries to help and I am at least early ready for Christmas (even for the ones far away).