Author Topic: How to give wood a burnt look  (Read 1150 times)

Offline wtmu

• iron
How to give wood a burnt look
« on: August 11, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »
Does anybody know how to give wood a burnt look ? This guide looks quite in depth, but I need some advice from you, is it worth to burnt wood by myself or I should buy burnt wood products instead?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: How to give wood a burnt look
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 02:32:35 PM »
Hi , I think you need to give more info on what you intend making before advice can be given

Offline wtmu

• iron
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »
A stacked ring bowl

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »
Just use a burner, small things can be done with a little cooks torch. Practice on a piece of the same wood before you do the real thing to see how much you need to char it. If you go the full Shou Sugi Ban treatment you will see flames coming off it at some points. The best effects are with soft woods such as cedar or chestnut or open grain woods like oak or ash. After burning give it a good going over with a brass wire brush then seal.  Needless to say (I hope) do it outside not in the workshop.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 04:29:00 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »
pete has good advice, especially the bit about doing it out doors, away from a dried up lawn as well!
i use an electric paint stripper, safer than a flame and readily available in a DIY shed near you, just takes a bit longer.
Ron

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »
Does anybody know how to give wood a burnt look ? This guide looks quite in depth, but I need some advice from you, is it worth to burnt wood by myself or I should buy burnt wood products instead?

I am pretty sure you can't buy burnt wood to the size you want it, I have seen 0% water Ash spindles, which are about as much fun as turning charcoal. go for a MAPP gas blowtorch preferably as it burns about 1000° hotter than standard propane, getting that surface scorch quicker actually puts less heat into the timber and reduces the risk of it burning rather than scorching. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings it is one thing to scorch a bowl rim, quite another to flick the flame over a pile of shavings. As Pete said inside the workshop may not be the best place, if it is the only place then clean up first.

You are literally playing with fire, so have a way to extinguish it very handy, and a second pair of eyes to look at the surroundings rather than focusing on the intended effect doesn't hurt either, learned that lesson back in my welding days, very easy not to notice a resulting fire beyond your focal point.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:46:05 AM »
I agree with all the comments about safety especially as many have wooden workshops full of expensive equipment which you would not want to see go up in flames.
I also use a propane torch depending on the size depends on which torch I use. If you feel the need to leave the piece in the chuck/faceplate remove the chuck with the turning that way it leaves it in the correct orientation to continue turning after screwing it back on the lathe.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:48:24 AM by Derek »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 02:46:12 PM »
I'm surprised that Les has not popped up to answer this or at least give a few insights. He does lots of this type of work, having said that you are in a woodturning forum but the link leads to wooden boards that have been scorched.

I am also confused slightly by your question 'is it worth to burnt wood by myself or I should buy burnt wood products instead?'. What is it you want that you could buy?

If it is learning to scorch turnered work I suggest you take a look at les's website linked here - https://www.prenbala.co.uk/
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!