Author Topic: Web lathe  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Alf g

• iron
Web lathe
« on: August 07, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »
Hi
My first time on.
I am just starting wood turning and bought a lathe Web1100G.
I can not find any info or manuals for this lathe.
Any info /help would be appreciated.
Alf g.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Web lathe
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
Alf,
Welcome to the Forum.

That lathe looks like a metal work lathe judging from the pictures of it I found on Google.  Can you post a pic on here so we can help properly identify  the lathe?

Ta
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »
www.gumtree.com/p/lathes/web-wood-turning-lathe-diy-or-hobby/1379943851

looks like one of the generic chinesium ones try a lookk at other branded lathes for a manual they are usually out of the same factory and just rebadged
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Alf g

• iron
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »
Hi David
Hope this works, attached photo of said lathe.
Alf.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »
OK, it's not a metal working one, that's good.  I think Lazarus's advice is good-try looking for a similar brand and get their manual.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »
Hello Alf and welcome to the forum.....decades ago, when woodturning grew rapidly in popularity as a hobby, the traditional manufacturers of lathes couldn't meet the sudden increase in demand, so the far eastern market started producing set-models which were then sold by numerous outlets all over the UK, where their own brand name would be put on the machine. It certainly looks as though this is what you've got here, in which case, WEB is probably not the manufacturer, but simply a brand restricted to a UK outlet. People like B&Q are well known for this approach to selling machinery, but I'm not suggesting for a minute that this came from them (in fact, I'm fairly certain it didn't). The chances are that if you dig deep enough, you'll find examples of this lathe, but branded and even coloured differently, according to who bought them, imported and sold them.

Best of luck....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 02:47:30 PM »
try looking at the sealey sm1308 or Clarke cwl1000cf both a very similar
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
The biggest problem with this type of lathe is the puny headstock spindle. They rarely have a Morse taper socket and often have a strange thread making it difficult to get a chuck or faceplate for it. Still a useable lathe but perhaps rather limiting compared to others on the market.

Offline Alf g

• iron
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »
Thanks to all,
I will persist with searching.
I am going to purchase conversion piece to allow a chuck to be fitted and then it's on to utube formore
Instruction.
Will keep updating successes and failures .
Many thanks again for all your input.
Alf.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 08:07:26 PM »
.... and then it's on to utube formore
Instruction.

....beware....whilst there is much in the way of good, informative footage on youtube, sadly there is also a lot of poor quality, and even downright dangerous stuff there. The problem for a beginner at woodturning is that you're not going to know which is the former and which is the latter! If you gain inspiration from your viewing, discuss it here so that the forum members get a chance to advise you before you put your ideas into practice!

Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 10:14:26 PM »
Have to agree with Les. Look for those on You Tube who are RPT or AAW at least. Some seriously dangerous stuff out there.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 11:29:06 PM »
Have to agree with Les. Look for those on You Tube who are RPT or AAW at least. Some seriously dangerous stuff out there.

Pete

Miss-seeing misunderstanding even an RPT or AAW demonstrator is a serious danger of watching YouTube with limited knowledge of the process they are following. Having said that in these days of limited contact it is a valuable resource.

Whatever you get from YouTube, be sure that you get the protection equipment used, need to limit lathe speed until you are certain everything is suitably held and balanced, and stay in your comfort zone, if it feels dangerous it probably is. 
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »
Alf,

A good place to start is the AWGB website and particularly the learning links.
https://www.awgb.co.uk/awgb-learning-links/
These have all been vetted and approved for inclusion on the website, and should give you a starting point.John

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 02:36:06 PM »
Alf,

As said above there are many lathes similar with respective retailers branding on them.

Here is a link to the Clarke Woodturning lathes, whilst I do not guarantee that you're is identical there is a good chance they are mechanically similar.

https://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/product_manuals/woodworker_woodlathes.shtml
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 10:00:57 AM »
A word of warning about the Clarke lathe manuals.....DO NOT USE THEM AS A SOURCE OF INSTRUCTION.....they contain advice on methods of working that are seriously dangerous. They have been informed of this, but continue to promote exceptionally dangerous practices.
Les