Author Topic: Gold Wand  (Read 994 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Gold Wand
« on: July 27, 2020, 03:44:16 PM »
An experiment with Chestnut gilt cream as a gold-coloured grain filler (in oak) after a demo by Emma Cooke.  It seems to work fine!

The oak stem in stained black before the gold cream is applied (although the handle is also gold filled this is much less obvious). The helical openings around a 10mm drilled central hole were made with the 'router crafter' and a router in the same way as items I have put on before, with a polished piece of dowelling with a golden-coloured metal 'gilded' finish inserted afterwards (although a sacrificial dowel was also present for support whilst the RC was being used, since the hole is drilled first. This may not be necessary).  The handle, with a 10mm spigot, is fitted afterwards, retaining the dowel core.  Micro-crystalline wax final finish.

Not sure if it is as powerful as previous elder-wood wands....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:50:38 PM by willstewart »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Gold Wand
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »
Will, as an experiment I can appreciate this and inserting the gilded dowel gives the wand 'blade' an added something.
I cannot help feeling thought that the handle overpowers the overall effect. Perhaps if it could be slimmed down it would have the more delicate appearance I associate with wands from watching magicians in my youth.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:36:00 AM »
Good points and I am not quite sure I know the correct sizes for a wand!  But some of the effect comes from my angled photo. See a straight-on version attached.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:18:38 AM »
Your right of course, the second image shows the length to be far longer than it appears to be the original image.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!