Author Topic: box and lid  (Read 1451 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
box and lid
« on: July 31, 2020, 09:46:37 AM »
This one has taken a long time due to bad weather, covid, grandkids etc :)

A small Ebony  box  with Mother of Pearl inserted as a cross, Satin finish  then buffed . 10cm x 7.5cm  4 feet. It turns well with a light brown straight off the gouge. But turns  dark rapidly, hence the underside lid colour

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: box and lid
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 05:24:03 PM »
Mist admit I do love using the ebonys. Lovely woods and you get such an amazing finish off them. One day I will have a go at the sort of thing you make Hughie though not sure i have the patience to get the finish you do.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:08:43 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »
I have for a long time admired your work and have seen it on other websites. the clean crisp carving of flutes is amazing. However after all that I personally not keen on the finial but then it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things ;D

Offline timber

• iron
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 08:17:53 AM »
Very nice work How do you do the flutes?? Do you have a Legacy Ornamental lathe /mill ? I have two and can do the flutes etc Takes a bit of setting up though Good fun trying different patterns etc.
Richard

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:13:11 AM »
Very nice work How do you do the flutes?? Do you have a Legacy Ornamental lathe /mill ? I have two and can do the flutes etc Takes a bit of setting up though Good fun trying different patterns etc.
Richard

No they are all hand done. I do have a different indexing system that allows me 10-12 different indexing patterns

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 10:14:51 AM »
Mist admit I do love using the ebonys. Lovely woods and you get such an amazing finish off them. One day I will have a go at the sort of thing you make Hughie though not sure i have the patience to get the finish you do.

Pete

Yeah its very much a patience thing. But the out come is rewarding

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 02:51:25 PM »
Hughie, as ever you come out of the left field and post another completely different but no less stunning piece of work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!