Author Topic: The Toolpost  (Read 1712 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
The Toolpost
« on: August 26, 2020, 07:09:26 PM »
After 23 years, The Toolpost is closing at the end of September.  More info probably in your inbox if you have visited/bought from there.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: The Toolpost
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 07:14:18 PM »
This is just  temprary for stock taking.
"Between Monday 7th and Friday 11th September, we will be closed for business to facilitate our annual (and very manual!) stock take. Unfortunately, for this reason, it will not be possible to process or dispatch any orders during this time."

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 07:20:24 PM »
Pete,
You had better check your inbox for the email as it is not about stock-taking.
David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
My mistake, just checked and that was from Turners Retreat. Apologies.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
Yes there was an email sent out at 16:30. Sad news but not really unexpected in the present circumstances and with what is to come next year.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »
I hope someone has the forsight to take on the Versachuck otherwise mine will be obsolete.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »
Full explanation on their faceache site.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 12:53:42 AM »
I hope someone has the forsight to take on the Versachuck otherwise mine will be obsolete.

There have been "out of stock" type posts here, and on other turning sites about Versachuck quite frequently over the last few months, it would be wise to look at what you need  and see if it is available in the closing sale.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »
There are plenty of good chucks already on the market so I’m not sure it’s worth the risk particularly at this time. I’ve had a couple of different makes of chuck and handled several others and the Axminster range is hard to beat. The only reason I might buy another make is to use jaws that are unavailable for the Axminster.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 04:07:49 PM »
There are plenty of good chucks already on the market so I’m not sure it’s worth the risk particularly at this time. I’ve had a couple of different makes of chuck and handled several others and the Axminster range is hard to beat. The only reason I might buy another make is to use jaws that are unavailable for the Axminster.

Very true, but I was thinking for those who already own a Versachuck but have been thinking if they should buy different jaw sets etc. now is the time to decide, as they may never be available again!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 10:18:21 PM »

Very true, but I was thinking for those who already own a Versachuck but have been thinking if they should buy different jaw sets etc. now is the time to decide, as they may never be available again!

I have taken the precaution of buying a 33mm backplate for mine in case I upgrade, not only that but for the small cost of one, it would make it easier to sell on if need be not that I intend to.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 09:43:21 PM »
I have taken the precaution of buying a 33mm backplate for mine in case I upgrade, not only that but for the small cost of one, it would make it easier to sell on if need be not that I intend to.

I've done the same, but I have 3 versachucks so bought 3 of them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!