Author Topic: DIY Henry Taylor Elf  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
DIY Henry Taylor Elf
« on: July 29, 2020, 03:11:05 PM »
As per the title has anyone made a copy of the ELF texturing tool? It seems a lot of money for a collet, handle and a couple of bearings. I feel sure it is a faily simple DIY build but would like some advice on materials and sizes etc?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
Re: DIY Henry Taylor Elf
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »
Shouldnt be to hard, as you say it does seem a little expensive.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:22:41 PM »
Buy a metal turning lathe and it will be no problem making your own even if it will cost way more than buying the tool ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:03:36 PM by Derek »

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and ordered one from Felix at The Tool Post. Happily this coincided with a blanket 20% off all products so it made it a little more palletable

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
" it made it a little more palletable"
I didn't realise they were that big ;D ;D
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »
A bit late now I am afraid but these from Amazon look very similar and all they would need is a suitable housing to hold them.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 10:12:40 PM »
I use one of their burrs fitted in an air powered die grinder, but without it connected to the air supply. It has a 3mm collect chuck and  spins freely so is easy to use and gets the same results. It cost me £15 on the 'net.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 09:14:43 AM »
it seems to me that this thread is based on a publicly stated intention to copy someone else's IP. I'm no expert but I'd say heads are now firmly held in nooses, which will tighten just as soon as someone succeeds. Dangerous waters we sail in!
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »
it seems to me that this thread is based on a publicly stated intention to copy someone else's IP. I'm no expert but I'd say heads are now firmly held in nooses, which will tighten just as soon as someone succeeds. Dangerous waters we sail in!
Brian

I have been trying to warn people about copyright and design rights for a long time Brian.  Banging our head against the wall. Gave up when the abusive emails started.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
I doubt there is anyone on here who hasnt 'borrowed' an idea but naming the product and the IP owner and then stating an intention to copy is just plain silly and asking for big, BIG, BIG trouble. Like adultery and bogey flicking this all belongs behind closed doors, if you ask me. I even wonder if the AWGB itself could be dragged in for allowing the question (aiding and abetting?) in the first place. any copyright lawyers out there to fill in the blanks for us?
Brian

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 12:08:28 PM »
Goodness me it was a simple question and as stated i have purchased from a reputable supplier - what happened to free speech and an enquiring mind. If this is so contentious perhaps the mods should block the post!!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 12:33:53 AM »
If you read the forum T&Cs, you are responsible for anything you post, not the AWGB. However, that doesn't mean someone won't intervene if a post oversteps the mark in some way.

As far as copying tools go. I don't think making one for yourself breaks the copyright rules, it's only if you try to sell them to anyone else.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
As far as copying tools go. I don't think making one for yourself breaks the copyright rules, it's only if you try to sell them to anyone else.
I  totally agree, I am sure we have all got home made tools, even gouges and chisels, which we use on our turnings, and are copies of existing tools but we aren't selling them.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »
Taking that new knowledge on board may I respectfully replace the word 'silly' with 'tactless'?
Brian