Author Topic: Ash vase  (Read 4341 times)

Andy Coates

Ash vase
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
This was turned as a trial of my deep hollowing jig which I'm going to have to use due to a torn rotator cuff.

Turned from Ash that was not exaclty dry, turned in two parts: neck and body, abraded to 400G, sealed and coloured with stain, hard waxed and oiled. I forgot to measure it but it's about 10".

C&C welcome...

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Ash vase
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »
Hi Andy,

This is a nice piece of wood lovely figure in it and the stain enhances it, I take it you stained it then sealed it and not as you wrote.

Be careful of that injury dont rush into turning and make it worse and suffer longer as a result.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »
 Andy

Like the plane top, nice contrast to the green body. But what a nice piece of Ash. Nice turning.

Philip

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
Hi Andy Nice Vase nice shape the figuring is superb I would personally liked to see the top coloured as well did you use spirit stains.regards John
John Smith

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
The stains are my usual Chestnut Spirit stains. The feather was stainded (several times), cut back and re-stained, and then sealed. The remainder was stained in a series of steps similar to above. Once happy the whole thing is then blended using chestnut yellow as a wash.

I thought about staining the neck, John, but I do like to leave a little natural as a contrast.

I had this whole tree boarded (by Roger, one of the forum users) and there's a lot of feather and ripple in the planks and blocks I got from it. It was a great result from a tree that was destined to be burnt on a pyre!

As for the shoulder...it'll have to heal whilst I work. That's one of the bug bears of being self employed. But I will be gentle with it!

Thanks for the comments.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
Hi Andy,
            I like this one even though I wouldn't have chosen green myself,( don't know what colour I would choose!)
Looking at the feathering which is beautiful, did it come from crotch wood? If so can you remember which way up it was?
Regards
John

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:53:37 PM »
Hi Andy,
This is one very nice piece, beautiful figure and the stain has pulled it out, the colours work well, like the result, classic form.
Now take care, wish you well, lest the jig will help, so take it easy.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''