Author Topic: Inktense  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Inktense
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
Does anyone use Inktense pencils on wood if so do you find that it is better to apply staright onto the bare wood or do you use an acrylic sealer first.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Inktense
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »
Derek,
There's an artist called Carol Hall based in Downington, Pennsylvania who uses Inktense on wood. I saw her demo in Raleigh NC last year. She has some interesting info on the use of colored pencils, especially Inktense that might be helpful to you. her website is thecarolhall.com and I have attached a pic of her work.
I have some Inktense pencils available if you need them.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
Mo has used them on some of her work. She still prefers to use the inks with brushes though for fine detail. She uses all her media straight onto bare wood. I do sand it to a shine thoughh and she finds that woods su ch as oak, ash etc tend to b;eed whatever she uses.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
Thank you David and Pete.

I will look at her website David thank you for the link.

Pete, I follow Mo and yourself and am amazed at her artistic skills on decorating what you turn. It would have been nice to meet you when you were booked at our club but the virus put an end to that.

I will be experimenting before using them in anger and can understand that wood with an open grain would not be suitable the same for pyrography.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:43 AM »
Thank you. Hopefully get the chance to meet up next year. The three main woods I use for Mo are sycampore, maple and lime. Cherry is OK as a wood but can be coloured which for her type of work is not best.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »
Thank you. Hopefully get the chance to meet up next year. The three main woods I use for Mo are sycampore, maple and lime. Cherry is OK as a wood but can be coloured which for her type of work is not best.

Pete

These are the wood I will be using them on. I found out that Cherry can change the colours applied to it I once made a pot with a textured ring around the outside and coloured it with Blue spirit stain it came out Green ::)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »
Derek,

Good advice from Pete & Mo.

Worth checking Carol Hall's site as the drawing of the bird was straight on wood as far as I recall.  In the 2019 handout, Carol says:
" Inktense pencils are water soluble  ink pencils. Once wet and dried, each layer is sealed and will not move. Multiple layers can be appplied over the top of each other. Because of this, I only use Inktense pencils".

She also mentions elsewhere the use of fixative- Aquanet hairspray (don't we all use this??) is the same as Artist Fixative.

There's also a mention of ChromaCraft  Clear Sealer so check her website to make sure you get the right info.

Or just call Derwent????
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
Derek,

Good advice from Pete & Mo.

Worth checking Carol Hall's site as the drawing of the bird was straight on wood as far as I recall.  In the 2019 handout, Carol says:
" Inktense pencils are water soluble  ink pencils. Once wet and dried, each layer is sealed and will not move. Multiple layers can be appplied over the top of each other. Because of this, I only use Inktense pencils".

She also mentions elsewhere the use of fixative- Aquanet hairspray (don't we all use this??) is the same as Artist Fixative.

There's also a mention of ChromaCraft  Clear Sealer so check her website to make sure you get the right info.

Or just call Derwent????

I have had a quick look this afternoon some impressive work. As for hairspray I think the wife might wonder where hers is going if I start to use that ;D ;D ;D.

I have already found out about the colour fastness(if that is a word) of the ink once it has dried managed to watch a couple of U tubes on them. I did have to contact Derwent as I had two pencils the same and one colour missing they are going to send that out to me.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 06:35:57 PM »
I leave all Mos work for 24 hours to play safe then put a coat of microcrystalline on and buff after about 1/2 hour. First time I was scared stiff it would react with the inks but never had a problem. People like to pick up and handle so you need something like that. Not sure how the various lacquers will react. I'd try on some scrap first just in case.

Pegte