Author Topic: Texturing - Nick Agar video question about colouring  (Read 882 times)

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
Texturing - Nick Agar video question about colouring
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:07:56 AM »
I have had the Sorby texturing tool for some time and not used it much. I intend to have a go with it some more and to that end i have just watched the Sorby demo by Nick Agar on YouTube

In that video he does some texturing and colours it.

Does anyone know how he does the colouring without it going into the texture he has already created? Or is it poetic licence and the colouring was done before the texturing?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Texturing - Nick Agar video question about colouring
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 10:39:22 AM »
Three ways of doing it. You can colour before texturing in which case the textured part will stand out from the coloured part as bare wood. Secondly do the texturing then colour. If you spray the whole thing will be coloured inside the textured wood as well. Thirdly texture, colour then sand back in which case the textured wood will remain coloured and the surrounding wood will lose the colour.,
May be other ways as well using sealer for example to restrict where the colour goes.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »
The colour is applied with an airbrush so the texture is coloured too. After applying the colour, the surface is sealed and liming wax applied, then buffed off so it only remains in the texture.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:23:00 PM »
The end grain spiralling is coloured using artists alcohol pens after he has textured it. A  light touch is needed to leave the deeper areas uncoloured.

The Viking Sunrise bowl;
The outside it textured, then coloured with Black Spirit Stain and afterwards given a light coating of silver gilding wax to create a pewter effect, again a light touch with the wax so as to not fill the textured areas.
The inside of the bowl is done with an airbrush.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:26:28 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:48:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies gives me some options to explore.