Author Topic: log in  (Read 990 times)

Offline timber

• iron
« on: July 23, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
 have a PC and a laptop I am having trouble login in I am of course on this laptop but the PC will not allow me to login.  When I put my pass word in it adds another letter or sign .What is wrong????????????
Timber

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: log in
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
Okay, this one gets me interested.

First of all, have you tried logging in (on the laptop) in the house, does it add the extra character then?

Secondly, if it does not, do you let your laptop remember passwords, or do you chose to type it in every time?

Lastly, I have on occasion had a similar issue because of the way I store and use passwords, the extra character is a space after the last letter/number, have you tried something as simple as deleting the final character before hitting enter?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:20:23 AM »
Storing passwords? What if "they" find them?  :o

Offline timber

• iron
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »
Many thanks Dragonfly I have tried your suggestions but they did not work. It then tells me that my user name does not exist------------ then displays it.??????
PAUL
Are you trying to be a superior administrator or trying to make me feel inferior if so don't bother as I know I am
Richard

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 11:57:53 AM »
Storing passwords? What if "they" find them?  :o

"They" already have them 75% of the posts on here are actually from "Them" to subvert society as we know it!  ;D

Richard, just to clear up typing error possibilities, open NotePad, type in your username and password so you can read it in notepad, then copy and paste them into here see if that works.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 02:43:40 AM »
In answer to the original question - it may just be your web browser adding a default number of password masking characters, especially if you have a password shorter than the default.

The log in page will display the last user name you tried to enter, whether or not it exists.

If you are sure you are entering the correct user name, the most likely cause of not being able to log in is that the password you are using is incorrect. To confirm this, try logging out on your other device and try logging in again, typing the password rather than relying on any stored password.

Offline timber

• iron
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 08:22:58 AM »
Hi Twisted trees
Thanks for that notepad idea. I worked  All is now O.K.
Richard