Author Topic: Triangular box with finial  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
Triangular box with finial
« on: July 22, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »
This triangular box about 20cm in diameter and about 18cm tall overall. Base made from Beech, lid from Pau Rojo and finial in Ebony. I am not sure about the finial. Comments welcome.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:24:07 PM by Valkrider »

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Triangular box with finial
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
That's is a lovely piece of work. Great composition and great finishing too. Regarding the finial, it's beautiful but I found myself wondering if it would look better it the 'tip' was more globular rather than being flatter on top. That said, the shape you've given it is different and is part of the design so it works for me :)
edit: is the semicircular depression off-centre in the triangular base  or is it just the photo?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:11:51 PM by Mike313 »

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 03:04:46 PM »
Mike

Thanks for your comments. No it isn't off centre it is my poor photography it wasn't square to the camera  :-[

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:09:46 PM »
Well that is certainly different.

Personal thought here (so feel free to ignore, or anybody else disagree). I always try to avoid different woods for 3 or more different parts of a project. For me it would be more balanced if for the finial you had returned to beech, which you've used for the base.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 06:03:16 AM »
The issue for me lies in the weight of the central area of each of the three sides of the base.  As a combined result of the profile and of then cutting the edges away to form the triangle, you've got very heavy looking edges, which are not in keeping with a superbly delicate lid and finial.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 08:21:43 AM »
Love the overall effect of the triangular box but sorry, agree with both Bryan and Les on this. If you undercut the three corners to give it a much more delicate look and used just two different woods it would make this exceptional rather than just good. So often design rather than skill and quality of workmanship can let a piece down.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 01:46:08 PM »
Thanks for your comments.

I did try a beech finial first of all as I was going to stain it black and I didn't like the look of it. Then I found a piece of ebony tucked away so it saved on the staining.

MK2 will be thinner but this was the first triangular one I have turned normally doing 5 sided ones which are normally only 3-5mm thick.

Thanks once again.