Author Topic: ash pierced vase  (Read 864 times)

Offline wider

• gold
ash pierced vase
« on: July 19, 2020, 06:14:54 PM »
From the 2 vases I turned the other day to a thin wall. I then desired to pierce the 2nd vase to a design following the grain pattern. And then oiled with Danish oil. The vase is about 4x4" in size. All comments welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: ash pierced vase
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »
I thought I'd replied to this post, I must have closed the page instead of hitting post.

That is a huge amount of work, the shape is very smooth in its line and the idea of the piercing out between the grain lines and all the irregular shape and work that entailed is clever.

2 questions;
I can see it is a piece of branch (or small trunk) but the rings, so is that hole a knot?
There is also more light shining through the lower part, is that where you got a bit thin or is it where the light travels through the parallel grain easier?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline wider

• gold
Re: ash pierced vase
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:39:54 PM »
it is a knot and there is 3 of them that popped out when i got thin.  the light shining i will say is where the wall is just that little thinner than other area's  think when i was turning it the light source i used wasn't as strong as this is. thank you for commenting.