Author Topic: Offering help to new turners  (Read 978 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Offering help to new turners
« on: July 12, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
I have been approached a few times now by friends and neighbours who are interested in trying their hand at turning. Before I agree can I ask those who teach and demonstrate the legalities of this and any advice or warnings, liabilities. I dont profess to be a teacher in any way shape or form but it would be nice to give a breif hands on for them to decide if it is a hobby for them? This would of course be unpaid and just a friendly couple of hours to get a taster.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Offering help to new turners
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »
If this is on an informal friend to friend basis then I would guess that there is no need for insurance etc though I would advise making a risk assessment for personal peace of mind. Make sure that you have appropriate safety equipment that is suitable for both to use as well e.g. safety glass, mask etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 03:51:07 PM »
I would always recommend having insurance when teaching, even if it's just for a friend and FOC. You never know. The artist network offer a very good deal, you can easily do it online, and it's not expensive.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 04:27:57 PM »
Thanks guys, yes insurance is a must I was a little concerned about that aspect. PPE not a problem, so i will make enquiries for suitable cover. Many thanks.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
For something that would be considered as an activity with friends I don't think there is any need for insurance. Once you get into the realms of needing insurance you would also need to complete risk assessments and all that goes with it. Without all that, the insurers wouldn't cover you anyway.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
what Paul said.

i've taught a few people over the years but i don't think of myself as a teacher. apparently i am a half decent one according to the people i've taught but it's never been anavenue i would want to pursue.