Author Topic: General Advice  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
General Advice
« on: July 12, 2020, 08:26:16 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I am NEW, to both the forum and woodturning. I am looking for advice in all sorts of areas and, I'm sure, this will not be my last post!
I love working with wood and have been carving for a number of years. I have also been thinking about woodturning for quite a while and got the opportunity to acquire a lathe recently. The machine I have is a Coronet No.3 which I have now assembled on my work bench.
I am looking at buying some tools (advice welcome) but, in order to use the lathe, I need to sort out the method of attaching the work. Currently the lathe has a 'chuck' consisting of a flat plate with a threaded screw projecting from the centre. I'm not sure if this is the norm but it doesn't seem to be a very secure way of attaching work? I can see that there are various methods and chucks out there and wondered if someone could give some advise on the best route? I could also use some guidance on how to remove the current fitting if i need to replace it. I have seen a Record Power Collet Chuck set advertised and wondered if this would fit my machine and be a good purchase?
Any help or advice would be greatly accepted. Thanks in anticipation.
Terry.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: General Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
Good morning and welcome, I am sure you will get lots of good advice on here. I would recommend a scroll chuck (Versa chuck from the tool post?) it sounds like it currently has a screw chuck fitted which will have its place in future projects. As for tools, depends what you want to try spindle or bowls. I would suggest a 3/8 - 10mm spindle and bowl gouge, a spindle roughing gouge 19mm or 3/4 and maybe a small skew chisel or parting tool. All can be had second hand from the usual souces, oh and a bench grinder and jig for fast repeatable sharpening. Hop all goes well.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »
Thanks very much Lazarus, that's great information. Would any Scroll Chuck be suitable or do I need to look for something specific? Do you have any idea on how to remove the current chuck system please? Do you know anything about the Collet Chuck?
As far as what I want to turn, I would like to try most things eventually so will need a basic set of both spindle and bowl tools.
Thanks again.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »
Collet chucks can be used but compared to scroll chucks i feel are less versatile - there are many and varied work holding jaws to suit and will cover every situation going forwards (future proof). I cant advise on your particular lathe but faceplates and chucks are usually threaded on (get a chuck to suit your thread) and drive centres are usually on a friction taper (Morse 1,2 and 3) - I have several chucks collected over the past 20 years but my go to is the Versachuck from the tool post - have a chat with Felix there he will advise on what is required to fit your lathe. You tube, Google or members here will assist with what fixing methos you have and how to remove the current fitting. Go to a local club (when you can) or find a local turner for some hands on advice and support.

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
Thanks Lazarus, invaluable, will try all of those. I notice from the spec, I've picked up, that the fitting is 3/4" 16TPI (Teeth per inch?) but, I'm sure Felix will put me straight!
Thanks again

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 12:25:20 PM »
By the way, the current chuck is as the attached photo. I imagine, if/when I could remove it, I could screw work to it through the four holes in the plate?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 12:52:47 PM »

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »
I have been attempting to remove the screw chuck, so far without success, can anyone help? I assume the thread is a left hand one and that to unscrew it would be clockwise? I have locked the spindle, inside the headstock, with a spanner and used a bar in the hole on the chuck but it doesn't seem to want to move! Should I be loosening anything else before trying again or is it just a case of 'use a bigger hammer'? Appreciate any help available.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
The thread on the main spindle is by necessity a right hand one, otherwise anything you put onto it is in danger of coming off at speed. So you need to lock the spindle, make sure the hole is pointing up, put your tommy bar into the hole and pull towards you. If it doesn't want to move, you might have to use some WD40 and a mallet.

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 11:08:54 PM »
Thanks very much, chuck now removed! It does help to know which way the thread is!

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 09:24:41 AM »
OK, thanks to previous advice, I'm about to purchase a Record Power SC3 scroll chuck. Is there any recommendations out there regarding face plate size? what are the pros and cons of the different options please?

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »
  Hi Terry,

I have a full set and then some of tools for sale in the Worcestershire area if you are interested. Most of my turning chisels are Henry Taylor and will be reasonably priced.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
Are you giving up Martin?

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 06:10:24 PM »
  Yes John have not done much turning the last couple of years so the workshop is going back to be a garage and very soon my Harley Davidson is being delivered, slightly bigger HP than my lathe.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Terrynic0

• iron
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 06:10:48 PM »
Hi Martin,
I wish I had known a couple of days ago as I've just bought a set of 8 Marples chisels. I'm not sure what's in the set so may be in touch after I receive them this weekend. You don't happen to have any 3/4" chucks, 16tpi I don't suppose?