Author Topic: Noob needs help!  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Noob needs help!
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2020, 07:24:07 PM »
A 3/8 or 10mm bowl gouge will cover a lot of jobs large and small, you need a decent way to sharpen repeatable grinds to, less time sharpening and more time turning. It is very difficult to set up a hobby like turning on a very small budget, but most purchases if made wisely will last a lifetime, this is why there are often some bargains to be had in the second hand market.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 09:50:23 AM »
Thanks guys. Man, I'm a bit confused now. Might try getting a 3/8" bowl gouge and see how I go. I have a grinder which I can use to sharpen the tools. Although someone suggested using a stone as the grinder takes too much off but that seems a little slow – less time to actually turn anything.

I can't do much at the mo' as my freelance work (furloughed, atm) has gone a bit crazy and it's my eldest's birthday party (ZOOM) which is a Harry Potter theme and I'm sorting all the stuff for that.

Maybe next week.

I will look at the 3/8" BG though. And do I need a roughing gouge, for really uneven or blocky things?

BTW, thank you all for helping. And the chap offering to flog an old set. I will PM you now, just to see want you want for it.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 10:20:34 AM »
 You only ever use a roughing gouge on spindle work never on face plate work such as bowls, platters etc. Using the grinder can be viscious if it only has harsh stones.You need a white stone at least. Also once the tool has been shaped ideally just touch it up every now and then as yopu work no need to go back to they grinder unless you leave too long a bgap between touching up or need to reshape it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
Yogavenger, be very careful. It is accepted generally that a roughing gouge should be called a spindle roughing gouge as it should only be used on spindle work ie stuff turned between centres or aligned with the centre line of the lathe. The construction and shaping of the spindle roughing gouge renders it unsuitable for faceplate work such as bowls or platters which are turned perpendicular to the centre line of the lathe. If a blank of timber for a bowl for instance, is too "uneven or blocky" it is best to work the piece to make it more balanced before switching the lathe on. A decent handsaw can be used to remove unwanted material though more labour intensive than a bandsaw or powered hand tools. The important thing is it makes the subsequent turning safer and potentially more enjoyable ! I turn lots of unbalanced pieces using my "go to" 3/8 bowl turning gouge.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 11:28:11 AM »
Hi , Send me a PM ( Personal message ) with your name and address and I will post you a 3/8 bowl gouge FOC

;)

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
Morning fellas,

Once again, you have shared very valuable information with me – I am indebted. I think I will continue to watch videos and see if I can mimic instances from those videos on my lathe and work. I will go back over the uses for the tools – thank you for the warnings about the roughing gouge, guys.

Wood spinner – that is a very kind offer but I couldn't possibly have it off you for nothing: That's too generous. I will DM you.

As some kind of reciprocation: my area of expertise is graphic design. I am the Creative Director for a media/recruitment/events/agency company. A little off topic but if you ever need advice from that area, please feel free to DM me!

Regards,
Matt

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 02:30:25 AM »
Matt is from Loughborough,

Will sort one out today for you  :)

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 06:50:32 AM »
Very, very generous – thank you. I've sent a message.
M

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
Quote, "I think I will continue to watch videos and see if I can mimic instances from those videos on my lathe and work. "
Videos produced by reputable professional woodturners are a great way to learn. be very wary of online materials though. There is a lot of poor practice being shown and the problem comes in deciding what is good and what is not so good. Classic chicken and egg. The woodturner needs a certain amount of experience to know what is good safe practice and what isn't. in order to gain that experience .......
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 10:35:11 AM »
Hi , Send me a PM ( Personal message ) with your name and address and I will post you a 3/8 bowl gouge FOC

;)

Puts your faith back in your fellow humans seeing this.  ;D ;D
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 11:03:52 AM »
Quote, "I think I will continue to watch videos and see if I can mimic instances from those videos on my lathe and work. "
Videos produced by reputable professional woodturners are a great way to learn. be very wary of online materials though. There is a lot of poor practice being shown and the problem comes in deciding what is good and what is not so good. Classic chicken and egg. The woodturner needs a certain amount of experience to know what is good safe practice and what isn't. in order to gain that experience .......
ATB John

I once watched a video by Jimmy Clewes with him wearing a ring whilst wood turning. Bad practice from an experienced turner.

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2020, 06:51:36 AM »
Thank you, everyone.

Even I remembered to take my ring off before I turned my first bowl. :)

My grandad never wore one.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
Posted today , I put a fresh 45 degree edge on it for you as well

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »
Look what arrived! :) (And what's the best way to maintain that edge because it's awesome!). And you can tell it's proper – it has a real weight to the steel. I'm actually worried about my other tools now. I think they must be complete rubbish!

And I will PM you: I owe you cash, sir. I cannot accept this, it's too much. (but appreciated!).

M

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 01:15:07 PM »
LOL, I daren't use it! I don't want to blunt the edge!  :)