Author Topic: Noob needs help!  (Read 4589 times)

Offline yogavenger

• iron
Re: Noob needs help!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 04:55:09 PM »
I don't think I have a bowl gouge. I mainly used the tools in IMG_5836.jpg and a bit with the IMG_5839.jpg (far right tool). Caught about three times, though not too badly. Managed to smooth it away. Took my time. Made a bloody mess everywhere with shavings (big and small ones). The walnut seem quite tough but I think the tools were a little dull. I need to try and sharpen them – maybe on my grindstone wheels? Or oilstone?

Not completely sure which one is a spindle gouge?

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »
Think I need to get a bowl gouge. Any ideas? For a noob. :) They seem expensive.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 06:48:37 PM »
   Please seek advice from a local wood turning club, some of the tools pictured are NOT for wood turning and some not to be used for bowl turning. One of the pictured tools looks like a bowl gouge but needs a good sharpening.

Use the wrong tool and it can snap. Don't rush learn what tool does what and then how to sharpen then before going at it in blind ignorance.

A little bit of patience now will make your future turning more enjoyable and most importantly safe.

The AWGB web site will show you a full list of clubs.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 04:44:59 AM »

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 09:29:20 AM »
a word to the wise....
After making the obligatory fruit bowl at school I took a few years off for chasing girls and soldiering before returning to turning in exactly the same way as yourself. I used any tool for anything, sharp or, much more likely, blunt. I continued in this fashion for some years... and got quite accomplished at wood butchery. Years later I got a little money together and treated myself to my first woody course.
What lesson did I bring away with me????
I had hit the butchery glass ceiling and to progress I would need to unlearn just about everything I had taught myself and start over.
This is quite the most frustrating route to becoming a woody, believe me.
What you need is someone to take you under their wing and steer you in the right direction. Joining a club is the obvious method. Telling this forum where abouts you are on the planet and then crossing you fingers is another.
If you are anywhere near the East Coast PM me
All the best, Noob.
Brian 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:35:11 AM by BrianH »

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 12:51:20 AM »
Those tools which have China on the shaft are very poor quality steel, they won't hold an edge for long and are likely to snap or bend in use (I have seen several like these bought to me by my students). I would advise you replace those with good quality tools as soon as funds permit. If the budget is limited, there is a buoyant second hand market and often, tools for sale on here too.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »
Have to echo Paul. The tools you have photo'd all look like very cheap ones that are potentially dangerous. Depending on what you intend to start making you can manage with very few tools. Spindle work you 'need' a spindle gouge and a parting tool and you can make most things. Face work you could manage small stuff with the spindle gouge but a bowl gouge would be better. That is a very bare minimum if you are strapped for cash and desperate to get going. Alternative if you have a bit more money would be a spindle roughing gouge, scraper, skew, spindle gouge, parting tool and bowl gouge. Personally I would advise getting some instruction ASAP though whether it is one on one or, due to Covid, via email, zoom etc. Wood turning is immensely enjoyable but also potentially dangerous. There are some good videos on you tube but also some seriously dodgy ones as well so be careful who you watch.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
Okay, many thanks everyone: I shall investigate further. I have been delayed by work and my eldest's impending birthday party but will come back to it, asap.

I did look briefly and bowl gouges on their own are very expensive. I will invest in one, as this seems like it can much of what I want to do, and add to it as I go.

I'm in the Midlands but can't see any clubs near me. I guess I shall try and get in as many YouTube videos as possible, and go from there. My father-in-law is knowledgable – As lockdown eases, I will ask him for help too.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
These looked reasonable. Most gouges I was looking at were about £100 on their own – This is a whole set. I guess it all depends on the quality but it's rated highly on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KI8CTS?tag=alphatharum-20

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »

Hi Matt,
            Where in the midlands are you located there are quite a few Clubs around all though because of the current situation they are not meeting at the moment.
                                                     Regards John
John Smith

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 08:49:10 PM »
Just outside Leicester, on the way to Loughborough.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 10:01:13 PM »

Hi Matt,
            The nearest AWGB club to Loughborough is Derwent Woodturners which is 22 miles they meet in Swadlingcote

Regards John
John Smith

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2020, 06:03:37 AM »
Thanks, John. Yes, Swad is just a little too far. That said, I do work out that way, which cuts the distance down a bit. (But am furloughed atm!).  :) Hence having time to use the lathe! (Oh, the irony).

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 08:55:41 AM »

Hi Matt,
            Where in the midlands are you located there are quite a few Clubs around all though because of the current situation they are not meeting at the moment.
                                                     Regards John

Hi Matt,
                                                     Regards John

Hi Matt, this particular set is not really any good for you, believe me. It has 2 spindle roughing gouges (and you only really need one), several scrapers (which really should be your last resort), one spindle gouge and no bowl gouges. And for this price it is very unlikely to be good value for money. If you want a decent starter kit, this would be a much better choice :https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-woodturning-tool-set-106153. This was my first kit when I started and it has served me well over the years.
Having said that, unfortunately when it comes to tools, the old saying holds: buy cheap and you'll buy twice. Most of my "go-to" tools are now out of the Crown Cryo range, and they are absolutely worth the money. Better to have fewer tools, but good ones, and learn how to use them.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
Hi Matt  --  I have this starter set from Axminster, it was bought when I first started but haven't used any of them for a while as my go to tools are mostly Ashley Isles. They are all HSS and served me well until I was able to get the tools that I wanted. I could let them go if the price was right. PM me if they may be of interest.   Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian