Author Topic: Noob needs help!  (Read 4578 times)

Offline yogavenger

• iron
Noob needs help!
« on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
Hi,

I have my grandad's old wood lathe – looks like this one. https://sumra.net/p/2040107000/3866394

I have a chuck and plate but they fit the other end of the lathe – not the turning power end. That end just has a sharp spindle.

I have some bowl blanks. My question is how can I mount it? I can't use the chuck the power end?! So how can I turn and – at some point – have access to make the recess inside the bowl?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Matt

(can you point me to any videos, pls? I've looked but I can't see any).

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Noob needs help!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »
Hi and welcome. Have you got some photos of the lathe etc? Might help as what ypu are saying seems very odd.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:42:06 PM »
LOL, that's perfectly possible, Pete. I am complete new and may be talking utter rubbish!  :)

Here are some shots from the Lathe.

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
From videos I've seen: I want to <attach> the blank to the spindle, shape the outside, clamp in the chuck and reverse, then do the interior. With this fixed head on the power end, I don't see how to do that. I can't use the chuck except on the other (non powered) end?!

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 05:45:38 PM »
I think the sticking bit for me, is how to do the interior? Unless I glue it to some waste wood on the spindle? Maybe shape the interior, then reverse, and clean up any damage made to the interior by that spindle when inserted into it.

Not sure. As I said, complete novice!

It looks to me like this lather – a Naerok – is okay if you want to do spindle work with the grain.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
What you have the motor end of the lathe is a 4 prong drive centre

With most lathe's you also have a hollow drive spindle that you use a knock out bar to remove the 4 prong drive , The spindle normally has a thread for the chuck to screw onto , If you look at the end of the motor unit does it have a hole ? and as the photo of the 4 prong drive is very dark , Can you see a thread behind the 4 prong drive ? A lighter photo of the prong drive and the left hand end of the motor unit would be better
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:47:11 PM by Wood spinner »

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
Yeah, that was what I was looking for, but I can't see one – unless it's in the motor casing?

If not (this is an old lathe) is it possible to do something, even with the fixed prong?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 08:20:00 PM »
I think this is a 4 prong drive with an internal thread, so in order to get it off you will have to lock the spindle and then use a large spanner to loosen the grip. This will most likely take a bit of force. Once the 4 prong drive is off, you should be able to mount the chuck.
For small bowls on a lathe like this you will probably start out with the screw chuck shown in one photo. Drill a hole the size of the solid part of the screw in the centre of the blank, mount the screw chuck, then mount the blank onto the screw and bring up your tail stock (for safety), then shape the outside including forming a tenon to fit your chuck jaws. Then take the bowl off the screw chuck, mount into jaws and turn the inside. When finished, make yourself a large wooden disc that can be mounted either directly onto the drive spindle (using a suitable faceplate bought from a supplier or by providing either a tenon or a recess that can be held in your chuck jaws) and reverse the bowl. Best to cover this plate with some non-slip matting (from the pound shop), bring up the tail stock and then finish the foot of the bowl.

This is just one method, there are others, but it's most likely the easiest way to get to a finished bowl.

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 08:30:29 PM »
Ah, okay. That sounds hopeful – and helpful, thx. I shall investigate further…

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 08:56:10 PM »
LOL, thank you: Spot on advice! Opened the belt compartment and grabbed the belt wheel and the spindle on the outside, then with a bit of force, the bit unscrewed!

Rather excited now I can use the plate and/or chuck! I shall take it easy and figure out how to go forward. Probably need to sharpen my tools first.

Thank you – very excited to have a go now! (safely, of course).

Offline yogavenger

• iron
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »
Thx for all the help. Enjoyed making my first bowl. Very rough – but unsure of which tools to use for which bits and how to use them but I’m learning. Great fun.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »
After all that you have made a nice bowl, well done, keep it up
Ron

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Yogavenger, the two most important words in woodturning at the end of your last post, "great fun" !! Long may it continue !!
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
. . . . unsure of which tools to use for which bits and how to use them but I’m learning. Great fun.

I hope you know not to use a spindle roughing gouge on anything other than it's intended purpose. The usual advice I see on here for a beginner is to join a club and/or get some professional tuition (or both). This will ensure you can identify each of the tools, learn what they are for and how to use them safely.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
Thx for all the help. Enjoyed making my first bowl. Very rough – but unsure of which tools to use for which bits and how to use them but I’m learning. Great fun.

That bowl looks good , you must keep it as a reminder of your 1st ever turning
Re what tool to use a clue is in the name , A bowl Gouge  :D