Author Topic: sycamore pierced burnet bowl.  (Read 1054 times)

Offline wider

• gold
sycamore pierced burnet bowl.
« on: July 01, 2020, 10:08:44 PM »
Over the last few weeks I have been turning, piercing and burning this bowl. The bowl is made from Sycamore and is 12x2" in size. I have coated with Danish oil and still needs another 4 or 5 Coates to finish it. this bowl was inspired by Pat Carroll.
All comments welcome.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: sycamore pierced burnet bowl.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
Can't make my mind up on this one. Love what you are doing and where you are going with this and the work and skill involved but ....don't know what or why but there is a but....down to personal taste again I suppose.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:12:09 AM »
I'm with Pete on this piece. I feel I ought … and want....to like it but there's just something.
I wonder if there are just too many good things going on?
Maybe 5 black slashes instead of 6? Most pieces appear more balanced when built up in odd numbers in my experience.
Sorry I cant be more specific.
Brian

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:30:06 AM »
 I agree with Pete and Brian.For me there is too much going on in this bowl, I find it difficult to visibly concentrate on it. The problem for me is the centre scrolling which overpowers the side workings. I think a natural plain bottom would be better
Regards
Ken

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »
I agree with the above. I would also like to see a sharper and cleaner break between the black sections and the natural wood sections. On a positive note it looks like a piece to which you have committed yourself and I hope that the process gave you pleasure.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »
thank you all for your comments . they are all taken on and will use them for future projects. dennis

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 03:41:45 PM »
I very much like the overall design, very elegant and eye-catching (if not very useful as a bowl unless only used for large fruit). In my opinion what lets the whole thing down is the execution of the pyrography or , come to think of it, the use of pyrography in the first place. I am not opposed to pyrography as such, but when I look at these images, what becomes clear is that instead of adding definition, here they take it away. The boundaries of the blackened struts become blurred, and even the edges of the spiral pattern in the centre of the bowl are not well defined. In addition, the thickness of the struts varies tremendously. Also, the black arms and struts now have rounded edges, and I think they would look better if they had defined edges. I also think the ebonizing would look better in this case if it had been done with either a black stain (and only use pyrographed lines to contain the stain) or spray paint (masking all the rest) or acrylic paint and fine brush.

These little things add up, especially when you go for a geometrically symmetrical decoration, and so the overall effect of an otherwise excellent project is diminished.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »
I'm going to stand alone on this, I like it.

I can see a ceramic platter influence here. Possibly not directly through observation but certainly this sort of pierced work is more common in ceramics.

And I have a collection of ceramics and I sometimes try to reproduce one of them in wood to see how the they translate between the two mediums.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!