Author Topic: Feeling good.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Feeling good.
« on: July 01, 2020, 06:51:13 PM »
Mo and I were asked to take a sample of our work down to a Guild gallery in Wells for appraisal with the possibility of it being sold there. We put together a cross section of 25 pieces so they could see the variety of work ranging from Mo's latest work to my textured work and some older pieces that were a bit diiferent to the norm. They accepted the lot. Wow. The guild is apparently the oldest craft guild in the country and to say we are chuffed is putting it mildly. Lovely feeling when your work kis appreciated by other artists / crafters.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Feeling good.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »
Well done. Your collaborative work is of a very high standard, IMHO. i hope you celebrate with a glass of something special :)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »

Well done Mo & Pete it is nothing more than you deserve your work is exceptional

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »
Well, how amazing is that, but then, on the other hand, it's completely understandable.

Well done you two; great to read that you're selling to a wider audience.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 08:40:25 AM »
Well done to the pair of you.In this time of uncertainty it is nice to hear.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »
On the assumption that the guild is the Somerset Guild, you should enjoy the association, if my experience of membership of a multi craft Guild is anything to go by. The important factor to bear in mind is that your assessment would have been a peer assessment which makes it all the more meaningful. There are also some members with a significant profile within the craft community against whom you will have been judged. Well done  :)
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 10:43:12 AM »
Yes John it was the Somerset Guild. Being judged by other crafters is nerve wracking as they look for details as well as overall design which is perhaps what I focus on. I am fortunate in having a 'quality control' partner who is used to dealing with very high end work though I admit to not always liking what she says LOL.

Pete

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »
Ding Dong , well done both , Re the selling are they selling for you or making a mark up on your prices , with work as unique as yours its not hard to sell as is ,
You mentioned that you last piece sold within 2 hours on the net

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
We  put it in the gallery and put a price on it. The gallery then has its own mark up price. They are responsible for the items as long as they are in their possession and are responsible for marketing and sales. Standard practice.

Pete

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »
Well done, a talented couple indeed.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »
Well done Pete. hope all goes well for both of you

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »
We  put it in the gallery and put a price on it. The gallery then has its own mark up price. They are responsible for the items as long as they are in their possession and are responsible for marketing and sales. Standard practice.

Pete
Hello Pete and Mo,
That for me is where the problems might start. If you are making sales independently at the same time as having work in a gallery which is relatively close to home, how do you reconcile any price differential where a potential customer may perceive that one is cheaper than the other ? When a gallery puts on commission and VAT where appropriate, a piece may become much more expensive than the regular craft show price. A 100% mark up and VAT could make the turner's £100 piece a £220 piece (0r £240 if VAT is put on the whole price and not just the gallery commission) Maybe a more typical mark up may be much less, say 30%. I have experience of gallery commission across that range. Alternatively, in order to "match" the two, your wholesale price becomes too low to be worthwhile. I am not knocking the gallery systems as they have a facility and staffing costs to pay for and it might be considered that their cohort of regular customers and often being open seven days a week offers alternative advantages. My own answer was to increase my craft show prices so that I could offer a more realistic wholesale price to the few galleries I have been involved with and give parity to the point of sale prices. Not quite so important if a distance is involved between the home market and the gallery clientele ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 09:58:35 AM »
Hi John, we mulled this one over before deciding that we would accept the same price from the gallery as we asked for at shopws. We have increades outr prices for tmuch of our work at shpows thia last couple of years anyway.The shows that we do are a log way from the location of the gallery so there is not likely to be a crossover of potential customers and wherever we sell items from we will get thje same money. I have known galleries with up to 200% markup but they have been in London and a bit lout of our range at gthe moment LOL. End of the day even a 30% markup means if I want £100 for a piece the gallery would be selling it for aroiund £145  as they take 30% of the retail price not the wholesale price. So many thigs to favctor in. When doing shows I am selling for the same proice but have to factor in the cost of the show, accomodation as well as the nasic cost of materials, time etc. It's swings and roundabouts. Again I am fortiunate as Mo was involved in selling high end custom furniture for many years so at least one of us has some understanding LOL. Like I have said before we all need a MO.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 02:31:03 PM »
Pete, your work and your collaborations with Mo are so different to the normal turners round and brown I'm not surprised that they took to your work so readily.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!