Author Topic: Horse chestnut wall plaque  (Read 1096 times)

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
Horse chestnut wall plaque
« on: June 29, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
It’s been a very long time since my last post
This piece is made from a slice of horse chestnut and is 14inches diameter. The colouring is black acrylic and red spirit stain in the centre. The finish is multiple coats of finishing oil. Comments welcomed
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:27:20 PM by ken rodgers »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Horse chestnut wall plaque
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »
Can't fault the workmanshp but the overall effect is (for me) too symetrical. I would prefer it if either the turned rings were dramatically different in texture or off centre. As said, a personal preference. This sort of work needs to be in your face and this one (again for me) is a tad ordinary. The skill is there, just a personal taste in design LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:44:56 PM »
Thanks for your comments Pete much appreciated.
I have not made one of these for about 4-5 years.it was an end grain slice and started off quite larger, and two parts broke off whilst turning. The next one I make I will try to incorporate your suggestions
Regards
Ken

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 05:39:07 PM »
I must admit that I looked at this when it first appeared, but was in a bit of a rush and didn't respond because I wanted time to study it more and think more about my response. I'm very much in agreement with Pete on this and if anything, it's the outer ring that I find most troublesome. The texture isn't strong enough and much too uneven. At some point the lines appear to radiate straight out from the centre (as at about 4:00 o'clock) whereas in other places  (at about 10:00 o'clock) they appear to spiral and the spacing between them is a bit haphazard. The inner circles I can't fault, they work well.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 06:45:51 PM »
Thanks for your comments Les much appreciated and I agree about the outer ring. I only noticed the spacing after reading your comments.
Regards
Ken

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
I'm very much in agreement with Pete and Les but my issue with the outer rim is (and not your fault, it's what you had to work with), s not irregulare enough.

It almost looks as if you've carved bits away to give it the uneven shape, which is a shame as I can see the amount of work you put into this.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!