Author Topic: Two WIP's  (Read 1337 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Two WIP's
« on: June 25, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »
The first is based on an art deco design often seen in jewellery. The main part is beech and the boss is ebony. Can't decide whether to texture the rings and whether the sections should be further apart. One reason why I make thongs without gluing up first LOL. Second is oak and the boss is a prototype  I knocked up to get an idea if it worked. I will do another the same but gild it and then hae the cabuchon set into the centre.
Tryptich is finished with a hard wax oil and buffed, the art deco is bare wood ATM until I decide what to do with it.
C&C welcome as always

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Two WIP's
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »
The triptych really works for me....I like it on lots of counts.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 09:56:09 PM »
Thanks Les, I prefer it too at the mment. Time will tell on the other one.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »
The first for me just does not work but the second is just great.

Too much plain wood on the first and the dowels distract being at different angles to each other, I appreciate that trying to get them all straight would be near impossible also the segment is not correctly lined up you can tell by looking at the inner curve against the black insert.

The second just right in my eyes

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
Hi Derek.
perhaps you didn't read the words? I said they are a work in progress and that the 'art deco'one is bare until I decide what to do with it. I also oint out that with WIP I don't glue up so the fact that it might be out of line is not really relevant. When we post a work in progress I would assume that any comments would be on the idea and concept rather than the actual workmanship etc. As you say getting the pieces tohgether is very difficult and one of the future needs is to get them sorted so they are straight. I don't know how others work but when doing designed pieces like this I make prototypes to get a picture of the overall effect amd to see the difficulties involved. Neither pieces are finished and need work.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:25:42 PM by bodrighywood »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 08:09:54 PM »
Time will tell on the other one.

I see a clock as well!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 09:23:41 AM »
Sorry Pete I should have read it a little clearer.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
I speed read and often have to gp back as I misread something. Having put this 'idea' together I love the basic dsign but have seen another way of getting the thing done without using the pegs which is one of the main problems. Whether it will work involves another experiment but without proitotypes we don't get finished pieces LOL.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 09:35:42 AM »
I speed read and often have to gp back as I misread something. Having put this 'idea' together I love the basic dsign but have seen another way of getting the thing done without using the pegs which is one of the main problems. Whether it will work involves another experiment but without proitotypes we don't get finished pieces LOL.

Pete

If the rear is not to be seen could you not rout out small pockets so the dowel or whatever you choose to use fits in nice and snug allowing for glue the same as some use decorative butterfly joints, this will allow the pegs to be all at the same angle.

A second option is to drill the dowel holes deeper in one part and insert the dowel deeper than usual then slide them into the holes on the other piece easier to do than explain
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:41:11 AM by Derek »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 09:38:58 AM »
They would still be visible and one of the major problems is getting it all at the right distance apart on two dimensions. Cheating way would be to put the whole thing on a backboard but want to avoid that as I want it to look as though the qy-uadrant has 'flown'out from the main piece. Like so many of these things the picture in my head doesn't easily translate into reality LOL. and I have the advantage of a professional furniture designer to advise me.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »
Just altered my last comment for another second option but still not sure if it sound right

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 09:51:44 AM »
2nd option males sense. Thanks

Pete