Author Topic: Versa chuck jaw carriers.  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Versa chuck jaw carriers.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »
Don't know if this is still available or will be of any use... but at £65 it has to be worth a look

https://martins-supplies.co.uk/presta/various-used-workshop-tools/1105-versa-lathe-chuck.html
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
That one appears to be a collet chuck of some sort not a scroll chuck, but thanks for looking though  ;)
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
Lazarus,
I have at least one set of Versachuck carriers for Axminster jaws but not having used the chuck for a few years now, I don’t know which ones they are.  Can you let me have the code number off the side and I will see what I have, then you are welcome to them.  If you are interested in another Versachuck then I have one for sale.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »
pm SENT Thank you

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
You would need a Machinist not a Blacksmith or Engineer. As a one off set though it wouldn’t be cheap.

For anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/sveMC39lpUE

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »
Lazarus,
I have at least one set of Versachuck carriers for Axminster jaws but not having used the chuck for a few years now, I don’t know which ones they are.  Can you let me have the code number off the side and I will see what I have, then you are welcome to them.  If you are interested in another Versachuck then I have one for sale.

Dave

Thanks Dave, appreciated.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 08:46:50 AM »
You would need a Machinist not a Blacksmith or Engineer. As a one off set though it wouldn’t be cheap.

For anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/sveMC39lpUE

Everyone needs a Stefan near them. I have watched nearly all of his videos he is very precise in all of his work

Offline JohnHewes

• copper
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 10:52:51 PM »
I have a couple of these, threaded to suit my two lathes and I just swop over jaws and have therefore great versatility with only two Chuck bodies.
The last body I bought took ages to get, and the set of jaws didn’t really fit very well to both chucks.
The jaw holders are complex, if you see them you will know that a local blacksmith or even a CNC machinist would find them very difficult to make. All four are different too!
Sounds as though Toolpost are not able to supply, can they respond, please?
John

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 10:14:49 PM »
I think they are made as a single piece and cut into the 4 sections after the scroll thread is cut onto them, probably not that expensive if you are ordering 5000 but prohibitive for one or two.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
As the Versachuck was likely sourced on the open market as a simple four jaw self centring chuck I wonder whether jaws may still be available if you know where to look?

Spare jaws are available for these two. They would need the faces of the jaws machining to suit the wood carriers but much easier than starting from scratch.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Lathe-Chucks/4-Jaw-Self-Centring-Cast-Iron-Lathe-Chucks-Chinese-Origin

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Lathe-Chucks/4-Jaw-Self-Centring-Cast-Iron-Lathe-Chucks-Indian-Origin-by-Zither

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
I seem to remember the Versachuck being made in India so those Indian links look as though they may be likely.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 01:24:44 PM »
The Toolpost still have standard engineering jaws to fit the Versachuck. Handy to have for some jobs?

https://www.toolpost.co.uk/product/engineering-jaws-internal-external-versachuck-8-pc

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »
Why not just contact Felix and ask him where the jaws came from?

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 04:56:53 PM »
Willy Vanhoute in Belguim has the Versa Chuck in his catalogue but not sure if he has the different carrier jaw types.

For those looking for a solution may be worth a contact.

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »
I see Beaufort Ink have the Verse Chuck and Jaws on there web site, no stock yet but waiting for delivery.