Author Topic: Versa chuck jaw carriers.  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Versa chuck jaw carriers.
« on: June 23, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
I recently contacted the Tool post as I required some additional jaw carriers (Axminster flavour) for the Versa chuck, Felix tells me there is no stock and no time frame for new stock to various reasons - does anyone know if there are any other distributors of the Versa chuck and accessories?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Versa chuck jaw carriers.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
I don't think so, as this was Peter's own design.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »
Blimey a bit stuffed now as I need some more carriers !!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »
You could try fleabay? It's a bit of a long shot, I know.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
Yes I did try the selling sites but to no avail hence my post on here. gues I will have to wait for Felix to get a production run going. They seem to have some issues recently as the last couple of enquiries I have made with the toolpost have been negative?

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 02:12:49 PM »
Surely wooden copies would do for light duties. Their life expectancy could be extended by regular true ups and super glue reinforcement before use. Got to be worth a try I would have thought.
Brian

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 04:09:49 PM »
Surely wooden copies would do for light duties. Their life expectancy could be extended by regular true ups and super glue reinforcement before use. Got to be worth a try I would have thought.
Brian

Brian Its the actual jaw carriers i need, i have plenty of jaws and could certaily not fabricate the carriers themselves.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 05:16:51 PM »
The carriers have some kind of flat snail thread on them, which (together with a suitable counterpart in the chuck body) enables the scrolling action. Without the right kind of machinery they would be
a) very difficult to make, let alone with any degree of precision and
b) prone to breaking even if made from a really tough wood due to lateral stress put onto the thread when tightening the chuck.

You'd probably be better off trying to train an army of beavers to gnaw the kind fo shape you want.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
But if its a choice between experimenting or throwing the chuck away (chucking a chuck?) I would move heaven and earth to find a way. Thinking outside the box will be called for, of course. For instance a cut off and filed screw or two will, almost certainly, follow the scroll with no precision engineering or circus skills required.
Brian
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:04:48 AM by BrianH »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
I would decide that the Versa chuck was less versatile than it previously was, stick to a limited number of jaw options that I already had carriers for, and go spend some of the money I haven't been spending down the pub on a second chuck...

I have 2 chucks mostly configured with large gripper jaws on one, and dovetail on the other this reduces the amount of time I spend switching jaws, but I would not object to having a third or 4th chuck.  ;D
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »
Have you had a word with your local blacksmith or engineering shop??? Might be an easy job for them
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »
Hmmmm they seem a tad complicated for a small batch to be financially viable.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 10:40:26 AM »
What seems complicated to us isn't to a blacksmith or an engineer! In any case, if you don't ask, you don't know!

I see you're in North Norfolk, so try Buskell Engineering up in Happisburgh and ask for Phil Buskell. Call on 01692 650604.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 10:41:02 AM »
But if its a choice between experimenting or throwing the chuck away (chucking a chuck?) I would move heaven and earth to find a way. Thinking outside the box will be called for, of course. For instance a cut off and filed screw or two will, almost certainly, follow the scroll with no precision engineering or circus skills required.
Brian

Yes, a screw will follow the scroll, but in order for the jaws to close to a near circular shape (required to get a good grip), you would have to place those screws with quite some precision. Not an easy job.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
What seems complicated to us isn't to a blacksmith or an engineer! In any case, if you don't ask, you don't know!

I see you're in North Norfolk, so try Buskell Engineering up in Happisburgh and ask for Phil Buskell. Call on 01692 650604.

Very close to me is he a relative?