Author Topic: Pipe/Branch  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Pipe/Branch
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »
Having read the thread about plagiarism I thought I would post this, as I finally got around to taking a few pictures of recent stuff. Inspired by Max Brosi's work and his multi-axis turning, I wanted to make a piece which blended industrial and natural shapes, so came up with this - a Brosi-esque pipe union bolted to a beech branch. This is the prototype, which I never really got around to finishing it, or making a better version, but I thought it was a nice idea. My wife is not convinced...!
Not plagiarism in my opinion, but taking inspiration from others work and trying to put my own spin on things is a good way to push my turning forward. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Pipe/Branch
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 04:26:09 PM »
I am pretty sure that Max would approve of this, and as long as you mention where the idea came from, I am also pretty sure he wouldn't be offended at all.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:31:32 PM »
Cool, I like the idea. 8)
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
That’s very different, nice. What did you use for the carving?

I doubt very much that Max Brosi was the first person to make a pipe like that. I should image wooden patterns were likely made over a hundred years ago as a pattern for casting in metal, although possibly not hollow but who knows.

Not unusual for industrial objects to be reinvented as art.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »
You said where the inspiration came from which couneracts thje plagiarism for me personally. Not sure about the cpmbination of the pi[pe and the branch but can see that it could go somwhere with a bit of thought

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 09:34:46 PM »
To be strictly honest, the inspiration came whilst doodling ideas in a sketch pad to pass the time on a train journey at the end of last year - the idea was to show what the turned part could have been before it had been turned, if that makes any sense. The highly turned and processed timber connected to the raw branch wood it would once have been. This was just a first try to see if the idea was worth pursuing - I am still tempted to do it properly, and on a more elaborate piece. Next time I'll try and use the same species of wood for both natural and turned sections in the interests of continuity though!

I did try with this one to make the nuts and bolts out of wood too, but eventually decided to go for the easy option and used metal ones. Trying to hand chase threads in M10 boxwood bolts turned out to be trickier than I first thought....!

The carving was done by hand with gouges, and then tidied up with a mini sanding drum on a Dremel-type machine. I used to work in a pattern makers shop in Sheffield 25 years ago, so the idea of making industrial parts from wood is not new to me.

It is an interesting challenge though, to try and use turning skill to make industrial parts, as my experiences turning nuts and bolts showed me. Anybody else tried turning nuts and bolts accurately to scale on a lathe and hand chasing the threads, or it only me who's daft enough to try and do this?!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »
Love the pipe part of the turning , but don't get the great big brabch part ,

In my opinion ( But who am I ) a small bud vase in the top would be a better option ,

But I did not turn it did I

Well done on the multi axis turning  :)