Author Topic: Tools  (Read 872 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Tools
« on: June 18, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
No not gouges etc LOL.One of my bread and butter ramges is crafting tools. Thismis the largest I do and is a navajo spindle. The shaft is 30" long, the disc is 4" diameter approx and it is traditionally used sitting crossed leg on the floor. I make them plain as here and also coloured if required. This compares to the tiny ones I have made measuring just 3£ long that I have made for spinners wjho used them when commuting on the train.
The secon d one is a reproduction of an antique french spindle. Difficult to see but there are brass inclusions in the shaft in lieu of what would have been gold ones.
These and other tools have been quite pop;lar during lockdown with people either having more time to practcie their crafts or take up something new.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
No not gouges etc LOL.One of my bread and butter ramges is crafting tools. This first one is the largest I do and is a navajo spindle. The shaft is 30" long, the disc is 4" diameter approx and it is traditionally used sitting crossed leg on the floor. I make them plain as here and also coloured if required. This compares to the tiny ones I have made measuring just 3" long that I have made for spinners who used them when commuting on the train.
The second one is a reproduction of an antique french spindle I was asked to do recently. Difficult to see but there are brass inclusions in the shaft in lieu of what would have been gold ones.
These and other tools have been quite popular during lockdown with people either having more time to practcie their crafts or take up something new.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities