Author Topic: Camphor laurel pot  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Camphor laurel pot
« on: June 17, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
I finally turned some dry wood yesterday, after months of experimenting with the stack of green wood that is cluttering up the yard. Found a small block of camphor laurel that I was given, and which I had been saving as I love the smell of it so much! Made a small double rimmed pot, and delighted in working with a slightly more predictable lump of wood for a change. Only a small offering, but it was nice to take some of the design ideas I had been using in my green turning and try them out on a dry piece of wood. What have I learnt? Carving is much easier when wood is green - this piece did not want to play ball with my carving gouges, and was a struggle!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Camphor laurel pot
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »
Just sorting out a load of wood and a length of 2mm thick plank snapped, the smell told me what it was. Nice find, now got to think of what to do with 2mm thick wood LOL. Wondering about inlays

The 'eyeball' effect is oretty cool, Not seen that done except by you

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 03:36:43 PM »
Nice pot. Camphor Laurel is not a particularly hard wood, only about 950lbf, which puts it somewhere between sycamore (770) and norway maple (1010). So if you struggled with your carving tools, then maybe they aren't as sharp as they could be? Or you were trying to take too big a cut?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »
Camphor laurel can be pretty open grained and that is what can make it more difficulyt to carve accurately.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 07:30:08 PM »
I think its the size of the pot that was the problem - each of the flutes around the inner rim are only about 1.5mm wide so it was hard to carve something so delicate. Because I was carving into very dry end grain, it tended to want to tear rather than want to play ball. On bigger pieces I can leave the walls of the vessel a little thicker and put a bit more weight behind the gouge, but this pot was so small and delicate it all got a bit tricky. Finished wall thickness of the pot is around 3mm, hence my reluctance to be too energetic with the carving tools

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
I like the Vase in Vase effect you've created here, although having turned Camphor Laurel once I can say (and called my post) Never Again!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 05:14:20 PM »
"The 'eyeball' effect is oretty cool, Not seen that done except by you" quote from Pete.
My understanding is that the double rim or inner rim idea is generally attributed to Liam Flynn (RIP) If you get a chance to see the book, Fluid Forms, published to celebrate his life in woodturning, do so. Lovely words and superb photographs and no, I do not have any links.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »
The double rimmed vessel was absolutely mastered by Liam Flynn, and Fluid Forms is a source of great inspiration to me. It's very nice to explore and expand on some of the ideas shown in the book. More and more of my turning includes some carving at the moment, and Liam Flynn's work is full of design ideas. The book, Fluid Forms, is money very well spent in my opinion. I think you can get it from Glenn Lucas via his website. A quick google should get you there...