Author Topic: Plagiarism  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Plagiarism
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
It does beg a question, do the materials used make a difference? If you copy a clay vase and decorate it to the same effect does being made of wood excuse you? I’d say not. Not sure why anyone would mind you but there are a few wood turners that so completely hide the wood under paint I wonder why they don’t take up ceramics instead.  ::)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2020, 03:12:14 PM »
'cos the cost of having the equipment and somewhere to have a kiln would be way beyouond many of us. I always said of I couldn't be a turner I'd love to be a potter.  I agree about the level of colouring that some people do though it is very much a personal thing.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »
HAs anyone any actually experiance of any one being convicted of plagiarism in the turning community? Be if professional or hobby, always debated as a hot topic but I certainly unable to find any cases, and the cost of a private prosecution would surely out weigh any recompence.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »
I doubt any turners pro or hobby could actually afford to go to court. The point is surely to try and educate people to have a moral and ethical attitude to copying. I do know of furniture designers for example who have gone to court over design rights and won so it could theoretically happen.

Pete

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2020, 07:53:42 PM »
Your right Pete, it is more of an issues of peoples morals and values, if I copy someones style and say it mine, I feel thats ok, if i copy someone and try to pass as theirs that is fraudulent and immoral. It is difficult to come up with new and innovatve ideas sometimes, I for one need an inspiration at times and admire anyone who can start from scratch with a unique piece.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »
In the past I wanted to do three fish on a rim of a bowl this was before I saw Pete's and mo's work but never did get around to doing so. If I was to do it now would that be classed as Plagiarism or not?. I would have to admit that it would not have been so well presented.
The biggest thing is people would automatically think that I did a copy.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2020, 01:00:56 PM »
Not really as you had the idea on your own but if it were me I would make mention of it. Sometimes Mo or I get an idea from the work of someone else and mention it to them beofre going ahead. The work Mo does for exampe was originally an idea from loking at Cynthia Gibsons work and we checked with her before starting.Now it looks very different but initially the idea was instigated by her work.

Pete

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 05:19:14 PM »
"HAs anyone any actually experiance of any one being convicted of plagiarism in the turning community? Be if professional or hobby, always debated as a hot topic but I certainly unable to find any cases, and the cost of a private prosecution would surely out weigh any recompence." quote from Lazarus.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Tobias Kaye successfully defended the design of his sounding bowls.
Copying or borrowing an idea is never the issue, passing the idea off as one's own for intellectual or monetary gain is. There is help "out there" through organisations like ACID.
ATB John
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:22:20 PM by John Plater »
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.