Author Topic: Square no round bits  (Read 1404 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Square no round bits
« on: June 08, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
Difficult getting a decent image of this. It is an unknown wood, possibly sycamore. Measures 21 1/2" long and between 9" & 10" wide with natural edge don the long sides. Marked off into 6 random sections and each given a different texture using a min angle grinder and a countersink bit. Colouring is done with an ageing spray for fabrics. Centre boss is a malachite cabuchon seperately mouted in a staied frame cut to size and shaoe then mounted on the plaque. Won't make a stand for tnisone but will ori=ovide mounts for the back so it can be hung.

C&C welcome as always

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Square no round bits
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »
Sorry Pete, this does not work for me, although there are the various textures, the single colour does not lend itself to promoting this piece.

Have you considered using Gold & Silver gilding waxes on the sections alternatly, to highlight the textures?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »
Looked into it Bryan but pretty much every textured piece I have seen with colour added looks over decorated. The texture on these pieces actually gives a load of different effects in the light which perhaps don't show here. The effect in reality is almost like leather and for me doesn't need anything more in the way of colour. Just a personal view but for me there is enough decoratve value in the wood as is.

Pete

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »
Looks like the type of thing which should sell when the opportunities arise !!
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
Thank you John. First possible events are two on September that have been postponed until then, Possibly one in October and one in November / December. See how things go. Whichever we won't be short of stock LOL.

Pegte

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:13:13 AM »
I'm struggling with this one, Pete, and I just can't put my finger on it. Normally, when I look at sculptural pieces, I get a fairly clear reaction, but not this time. I think that I'm not getting enough of a buzz from the variations in the textures, but that could well be an issue with a small photo of a large item. I guess that this needs to be seen close up to see the interaction of light on the surface.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 11:27:38 AM »
Unlike others I quite like this piece, but however there are a couple of things that don't look right the first is that the top pattern and the one to its immediate left are very similar and I personally feel they needed to be separated by something different. The second is the pattern on the lower right is too bold in comparison to the other patterns.
The workmanship is top-notch as per normal
As stated this is just my view. I hope it sells

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »
Interesting the reactions to this as it is my favourite so far LOL. It is actually quite difficult to get a decent photo as the light reacts differently in the different textures. In the image all the negative comments are valid but goig and looking at it in real tine it does look quite different. End of the day see if it sells at a show where people will be able to look and touch it. Thanks for the comments.They always make me take a second look adn far better than lots of ''ooh that's lovely' type remarks LOL.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
Interesting the reactions to this as it is my favourite so far LOL. It is actually quite difficult to get a decent photo as the light reacts differently in the different textures. In the image all the negative comments are valid but goig and looking at it in real tine it does look quite different. End of the day see if it sells at a show where people will be able to look and touch it. Thanks for the comments.They always make me take a second look adn far better than lots of ''ooh that's lovely' type remarks LOL.

Pete

As stated earlier sometimes the full effect can't always be appreciated in a photo I know I have done pieces and the colour just looks so vibrant but in reality, is much more subdued.
I agree I would rather have comments about a piece good or bad, I am sometimes guilty of just putting "very nice piece" or " I like that"

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »
Pete I am sorry but this one does not work for me either and I think I know why. Bear in mind that the comments I am about to give are meant in the most constructive and supportive manner but may not come across as such.
I realise that the texturing is supposed to be random, that is the beauty of a piece such as this but the top "panel" is too random and with the lines going in different directions and at different gaps inbetween it makes this panel look untidy. The panel to the left of that looks fine to me, I like the way the lines appear to radiate out from the cabochon but as has been mentioned I think it should be more clearly defined between the panels. The bottom left and bottom middle panels have , in my opinion similar problems.The bulk of each decorated panel is random and looks very effective but unfortunately along the right hand edge of each of those two panels you can see lines where you did not maintain the randomness(?) of the texture. The two remaining panels on the right I like but again I feel that the boundary between the two should be more defined. How ever having said all of that I love the concept and the cabochon gives it a sense of mystery. As to the timber I wonder if it is Jarrah? I just thought I would say that I admire your developments over the last few weeks and I don't think you will have any trouble selling this one.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
Thank you John, This was one of the first textured pieces mI made and whilst I still like it the more I look at it the more |I see the same sort off things you are mentioning. 'Random' is anything but when trying to get that effect LOL. It is still (IMHO) worth putting out at a show but also it is one to learn from as are most pieces. The most striking part for me is the cabuchon in the centre and that is somethiong I wil be doing again, using different media within these pieces.

Pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
I think the choice of colour, shape or material could actually make or break a pice, in this one of yours I think you have got ot dead right,
no-one said this designing thing was easy did they? I have a box full of stuff that didn't "work".