Author Topic: Before and after  (Read 858 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Before and after
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »
I posted this piece earlier on with a base that both I and others thought was too big, too much. As always I made the piece so it would come apart so that it could be altered and adapted if (as in this case) necessary. The new base is made with japanned plywood for strength and joined with polished copper tubing to reflect the copper leafed boss in the centre. The texturing is done after staining to reveal the natural colour of the pear wood. I am quite happy with this new base.....at the moment LOL. But again it is not fixed in place. Partly so that I can adapt if necessary but also so that the final owner can position the plaque as they prefer.
C&C welcome as always.
Imajes are with the old burr base and the new one
Pete
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:42:11 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Before and after
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
Of the two stands, I much prefer the second/new one. I like the fact that the lowest corner can now be see and I think the design is more in keeping with the plaque itself. And I like the copper detailing :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Before and after
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
I've also got to go with the new base Pete, it supports the plaque.

The first one look good but the stem supporting the plaque looks a little slim and overy delicate, like it might break at the slightest knock.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!