Author Topic: The all seeing eye  (Read 995 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
The all seeing eye
« on: June 06, 2020, 07:46:27 PM »
Usual rubbish phone camera picture I'm afraid...sorry. This is a large horse chestnut vessel which has been nothing but trouble to create, but given the hassle I went to of getting the wood in the first place, and the sentimental value it has for the owner of the tree, I persevered way beyond the point where I might normally of thrown it on the firewood pile, to eventually create this.

In a certain light (and certainly when it was on the lathe) it looks a bit like a big eyeball... The timber tore out like nobodies business, and was full of rot and holes. Trying to get any sort of finish off the tool was purgatory. But now it's as done as its going to get, and I can turn something small and solid for a change. It's around 13" in diameter to give an idea of scale - it started off from a 20" diameter lump but it took a while before I struck solid wood!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: The all seeing eye
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:41:35 PM »
I can see wnhy it looks like amn eyeball LOL. Seriously that is a gorgeous lump of wood and it would have been a crime to burn it.I find when workng on things lke this is to get the low grade abrasive out and attack with verve and patience. Definitely worth the efforyt IMHO.
My type of wood.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 09:48:47 PM »
Worth the effort I'd say. Lovely piece of wood and your use of it has gone into my "style folder".

Duncan

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 11:43:11 AM »
Well done for persevering, it was worth the effort. Lovely piece of wood, very nice shaped bowl and interesting detail round the rim. Are you going to apply any further finish to it?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 03:02:56 PM »
Ten out of ten for perseverance; what did you do with all the shavings! ;D
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I might put another light coat of oil on at some point, but I quite like the natural, matt finish. As for the shavings, there were several wheel-barrows full of them which are now covering the floor of mine and my neighbours chicken coups.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »
Yes, you were right to persevere with the piece. Horse Chestnut is one of those timbers which throws up enough problems when it is "sound" let alone with bark inclusions, burrs, rot and staining. I quite like the double rim style of turning though it is something I have yet to try for myself. The finish on the outside is great, it allows the timber to speak for itself.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:58:04 PM »
I like it, I can see the eyeball but I also see a Bowl-in-Bowl effect as well.

It's shame there is only the one picture, I think one slight further away and another from more overhead showing the Bowl-in-Bowl effect would enhance the overall perception of it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!