Author Topic: Clubs restarting?  (Read 16543 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Clubs restarting?
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2020, 05:05:47 PM »
I am a little more optimistic, as I recently asked members to start paying their AWGB subs, I expected to be well down on numbers as some members think as there is no club, there is no AWGB! I have now got just over half what I collected last year when we were willing to turn out on afrpsty night for club night. i aalso have had more communication with members, phone or email and some great pictures, mainly due to asking for the subs!

Cheer up, many members ask when we will reopen and this takes the form of will we be open for Xmas/Easter /next year?

I wish I could say!
Ron

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2020, 12:34:42 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is 'afrpsty night'?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »

I think it’s supposed to be “Frosty Night”, but we’ll see what the OP says!  ;D

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »
It is the keyboard, it keep moving when I type! :-[
Ron

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »

That is the night when all timber is free and you get given a new bowl gouge if you take enough of the timber away... but nobody knows when or where it is  :)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2021, 07:12:49 PM »
Well, what do we think now the vaccine rollout is progressing apace?

Is a restart possible in the autumn if restrictions are lifted or do we wait until the new year?

My Crystal ball isn’t working so any input is welcome ...  ;D

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2021, 10:51:46 PM »
I have sketch plans to ride in Europe in June and August, and to visit France late September, they are there to give me something to look forward to, seriously I am not expecting to leave the UK until 2022. I feel the same approach is needed for club meetings, hope for Autumn but it may be winter and the year number may click round. The important bit is to have some hope of some normality coming.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2021, 11:20:21 AM »
Well, at our committee meeting last Tuesday, the Herts and Beds Woodturners took the decision to try and restart "normal" meetings at our Hemel Hempstead venue on the 13th July. A high proportion of our members have already had their first jab and some have had both. The plan is provisional and may need revision if the situation deteriorates again.
Many members are reporting Zoom fatigue and are very much looking forward to a resumption.

It remains to be seen if this is achievable.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2021, 02:07:26 PM »
Are you anticipating having to use the 2 metre rule and if so what impact will this have regarding your venue Tim?

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
Are you anticipating having to use the 2 metre rule and if so what impact will this have regarding your venue Tim?
Hi Bill, a lot can happen in the next 4 months.  We are in close contact with the manager of the community centre where our meetings are held and he is hopeful that restrictions will be minimal.  It's a large venue so we could still proceed with a 2 metre rule in place.  Will post updates as to viability and restrictions which hopefully will help other clubs in the same situation.
Tim
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:40:58 AM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
I asked if the club I go to had any plans to restart a couple of weeks ago. No response yet other than there will be an announcement.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2021, 10:32:14 PM »
I think before clubs can start meeting again the question about insurance needs to be answered first.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2021, 09:24:06 AM »

I agree with John (BHT) this public liability no cover ref COVID 19 with the insurance is in my opinion a big issue and this could be a very big problem if someone try's to claim from a Club I have asked for guidance from the AWGB and the answer I received it is up to each Club to do their own "RISK ASSESSMENT" this issue needs very careful consideration it could cost clubs and even Committee members a Fortune.
                                            Regards John

John Smith

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2021, 10:58:15 AM »
Covid is expected to be with us for the foreseeable future. If insurance concerns can’t be met does that mean the end of small clubs meeting?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2021, 11:15:12 AM »
Covid is expected to be with us for the foreseeable future. If insurance concerns can’t be met does that mean the end of small clubs meeting?

Spanish Flu is still with us in theory! virus doesn't disappear it may change but is always there, difference is our susceptibility to serious illness from it, if this years vaccine doesn't crack it next years will.... we can only hope! I do think some things will be permanently changed, but no social interaction is too high a price to be permanent, just hang in there and keep hope alive.