Author Topic: Clubs restarting?  (Read 16545 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Clubs restarting?
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »

That is such a shame all that preparation and hard work is wasted I think it is not worth trying until things get more stable

Regards John
John Smith

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 06:31:00 PM »

I don't think many if any Clubs will be starting up again this year which is going to make it very difficult to collect the AWGB annual subscriptions from members Zurich Insurance have given clubs a 3 month extension on their policies until April 2021 is there any thoughts of what the AWGB will be doing and what do members think.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 09:20:55 PM »
We always allow a grace period up to the end of March for renewals. We are going to extend that next year to allow clubs more time. We will be contacting clubs with this and other news shortly...

Offline Wooddust

• copper
Clubs, post covid.
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »
What do people think will happen to woodturning clubs, post covid?

Do you think they will just pick up where they left off or will the time away make people rethink about returning?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Clubs, post covid.
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »
I was wondering about that today. I think the perceived safety at the proposed time of recommencement will have a big bearing on the numbers. Especially as mentioned before in another thread, not least due to the average age of club members. My own club was invited to restart when the venue reopened in September but it was still thought too dangerous due to Covid. Of the people I’ve spoken to most if not all don’t expect any major movement back to normality until at least March next year. How many will continue with membership post Covid remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:25:42 PM by Bill21 »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Clubs, post covid.
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »

This Subject was posted on September 20th by Bill21 and there was quite a lot of discussion and postings then so it would be better for continuity of the subject if these were posted in that same thread as there were a lot of ideas and thoughts on this

Regards John
John Smith

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »
All club members are by now completely out of the habit of attending club meetings and have also had plenty of lockdown time to consider if/how their membership might fit within their changed lifestyle. Covid, old age and complacency are also likely to have taken a greater toll on the longest serving members, who are also likely to have held the leadership roles which others have previously shied away from.
I would suggest that whenever clubs restart there will be a lot of hastily arranged AGM's consisting of a much reduced membership facing a sparsely populated.... or even empty.... committee table. Some clubs will fold and the rest will face an extended period of rebuilding, which will need to be led by 'younger', less experienced members who would, in pre Covid times, have run a mile from the positions.
Pessimistic it certainly is, but can anyone fault the logic?
Brian

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2020, 10:07:16 PM »
All club members are by now completely out of the habit of attending club meetings and have also had plenty of lockdown time to consider if/how their membership might fit within their changed lifestyle. Covid, old age and complacency are also likely to have taken a greater toll on the longest serving members, who are also likely to have held the leadership roles which others have previously shied away from.
I would suggest that whenever clubs restart there will be a lot of hastily arranged AGM's consisting of a much reduced membership facing a sparsely populated.... or even empty.... committee table. Some clubs will fold and the rest will face an extended period of rebuilding, which will need to be led by 'younger', less experienced members who would, in pre Covid times, have run a mile from the positions.
Pessimistic it certainly is, but can anyone fault the logic?
Brian

I have to agree with you I am afraid, I think several clubs will fold following this pandemic. I personally am questioning, if I want to go back to club meetings.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 11:24:17 PM »
One thing I do know is that many folks go to meetings (or did) for the social  aspect and to chat with other like minded people. Quite a few nodded off during the demos but woke up in time for tea and biscuits. This is reason enough for some to return provided they think it’s safe.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »
I agree with everything Bill wrote but still question whether enough members will return and whether, from that number, enough will be willing to take the reins and lead the club forward into a brand new future. Past experience tells me the majority will do almost anything rather than sit at the top table. Here's hoping I'm wrong on all counts.
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
We have about a dozen on the committee at my club, myself being the newest member. I’m not aware of anyone wishing to stand down at present. It’s possible of course that situation may change once we restart.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »
please can I join, Bill, because your's is the first club Ive come across with so many members willing to do committee duties.
Brian

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »
Well, what a thoroughly pessimistic outlook!  I have been following this thread with interest and as chairman of the Herts and Beds Woodturners I thoroughly disagree with such doom laden prophesies! 

Yes we have had to close down while this pandemic runs it's awful course and we like many clubs have taken full advantage of the Zoom video conferencing facility which enables us to have virtual presentations, and most importantly keep in touch and look out for our members.  Likewise with our club newsletter which has been a lifeline to our members, as are photographic based competitions.

But at the end of the day a computer screen CAN NEVER EVER BE a substitute for conversing with friends (over tea and an inexhaustible supply of biscuits) at a live club meeting, looking viewing from all angles AND BEING ABLE TO TOUCH the items in the  club competitions and learn first hand the intricacies of their creation.  Likewise being able to chat face to face with a top level demonstrator and have close up views of his tools (how they are sharpened) and turnings.  Then there is the club raffle and club shop where there is always an eclectic assortment of blanks tools and magazines for sale and goodies to win in the raffle.  Most of all chatting about common turning conundrums and seeing how other club members have approached and solved them.  There is simply no 'virtual' substitute possible for that in my view. 

We now have three Covid 19 vaccines ready for distribution and (if this benighted government can get it's act together) we should all have the opportunity of immunisation shortly.  I cannot see any reason thereafter why we cannot gradually move back towards normality with resumption of 'normal' club activities.  I would be very surprised if when I come back to review this thread in a years time, my club had not resumed normal meetings.

That's my take anyway!

Tim

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »
I am in the same mind set as Tim. I have heard that some clubs have even got people wanting to join even though they know of the situation. I will certainly welcome the opening of our club once it is allowed. I enjoy the company and banter. I have been watching various turners on the internet especially Ed Oliver but unlike meeting I can't really throw banter at him like I and others do at our club meetings

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »
I can only repeat that I hope I am proved wrong on all counts because I agree with Tims descriptions of a worthwhile club meeting. Time will tell
Brian